Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 4: Board Culture

Whose responsibility is it to build a healthy board culture? the board president or the CEO?

K
    L
    E
    A
    5 Replies
  • 49 Replies
  • In my opinion, the task of building a Board Culture is a responsibility of both the Board president and CEO, but not all decisions should be on CEO´shoulders. There must be a joint strategy where together could build a culture that benefits not only the Board but the organization as a whole.

1 Reply
  • Board culture should be informal but professional.It should build on trust so the organization will be sustainable.

1 Reply
  • The CEO since he is the one in charge of board meetings

A
    2 Replies
  • this responsibilities is for both the president and the CEO because their work is linked.

A
    1 Reply
  • I believe the responsibility lays on the board president. The board president should engage the group, recruit/hire and keep the CEO responsible.

1 Reply
  • To me both of them are responsible, as they are both main leaders of the organization, they should both share their views with the board and not all the decisions should be made by the CEO

• It is important to uphold respectful but bold engagement at board level. Professionalism is key to board effectiveness. Understanding the culture context is also important in being effective at The board level. Open friendliness and continuous learning culture is critical element of high performing boards

• Both CEO & the President have equal responsibility to ensure a healthy board culture

E
    1 Reply
  • The board president is responsible. He/she should be engaging and be involved with future recruiting and hiring. He should also keep the CEO abreast of changes.

• I would say the board president is responsible for board culture because the CEO is not always on the board. I also believe the responsibility should be shared among the board president as well as the senior/long standing board members (including the CEO if they are part of the board.) Board culture will not just be created by one person, but will be created and continued by the team's embodiment and commitment to the core values agreed upon for board culture. Therefor it is everyone's responsibility to uphold and pass along those values, however it is the board president's job to make sure everyone else on the board is doing that be hearing concerns and greavences, setting up expectations, mentor-ships, etc.

• I agree the board president is the most valuable and important part of the culture as a representative, However, All board members are responsible for the culture of an organization. Proper representation on the board and within the community are vital for the boards success.

• I am of the opinion that building a board culture should lie with the president and deputy.the CEO can be strategically involved.

• Board president is responsible for building healthy board culture, however, CEO should work hand in hand with the board president as the CEO is in better picture of the organizational policies (vision and mission)

• In my opinion, the task of building a Board Culture is a responsibility of both the Board president and CEO, but not all decisions should be on CEO´shoulders. There must be a joint strategy where together could build a culture that benefits not only the Board but the organization as a whole.

• Le conseil d'administration est responsable de la création d'une culture saine du conseil d'administration, cependant, le PDG doit travailler main dans la main avec le président du conseil d'administration, car le PDG a une meilleure idée des politiques organisationnelles

• I think both the CEO and president

• In our non-profit, the Board Chair and the Executive Dir/Founder are like one cohesive unit. This organically sets the tone for much of the culture.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.