Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• #Commitment and Volunteering

How to make volunteers or club members understand ,the importance of commitment and the love for volunteering.

N
    3 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • @Tholah said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

How to make volunteers or club members understand ,the importance of commitment and the love for volunteering.

Good quetsion, @Tholah.

Do others ( @all ) have thoughts about how to build a strong volunteer program?

R
    1 Reply
  • We need to go back to the values especially the value of ubuntu which is very important and significantly the most important aspect that grounds people and also motivates volunteers

T
    I
    2 Replies
  • Passion is very important especially to individuals who are volunteering as this raises Ubuntu, by paying it forward. Finding people who share the same values is key and motivation.

• Regardless of what program, cause or charity, it is for, for me I can only answer by saying that it boils down to the qualities/skills of the person.
    I strongly believe that you cant "make" a Volunteer understand the importance of commitment, etc.
    For example , If a person has Volunteered for something, on his/her own free will, then that person already knows the true importance of being there, showing up!

• @Mark_G said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

@Tholah said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

Good quetsion, @Tholah.

I think the only way to build a strong volunteer program and keep people committed is to be clear about your cause and what kind of people you need from the onset. In that way you can assess which individuals would be suitable based on their values and interests and once that's out the way you should keep them committed by rewarding good work and constantly reminding them of the objectives and goals of your organisation.

S
    C
    2 Replies
  • @ReatlegilePhiri said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

@Mark_G said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

Good quetsion, @Tholah.

I think the only way to build a strong volunteer program and keep people committed is to be clear about your cause and what kind of people you need from the onset. In that way you can assess which individuals would be suitable based on their values and interests and once that's out the way you should keep them committed by rewarding good work and constantly reminding them of the objectives and goals of your organisation.

You need to find someone who shares the same goals as those of the organisation, this will be easier for the person to be dedicated and committed

• Yes, you need to find a volunteer who drives by the same mission and vision. They must also be committed

• The volunteer has to believe in the cause. I believe you cannot market volunteering into people. Getting someone through heavy convincing usually shows in the long run

............First thing first, try as much as possible to make them understand the goals, vision, and objectives of your mission. This to a large extent imbibe within them an automatic spirit of wanting to contribute most especially if part of your goal is to impact lives and contribute to a community. Lastly, please note that that you can also bring about commitment among volunteer members when you explicitly make them understand what they sand to gain by getting involve in such cause. However, it gets a greater commitment level if on a flip side volunteers get a little incentive just to motivate their spirit. This could be anything that appeals to an appreciation worth. @Tholah @Mark_G

• @ReatlegilePhiri said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

@Mark_G said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

Good quetsion, @Tholah.

Thats a good suggestion. In addition to your answer , I think also recognizing the individual talents of the volunteers and allowing volunteers to utilize them helps

• @mathapelo said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

We need to go back to the values especially the value of ubuntu which is very important and significantly the most important aspect that grounds people and also motivates volunteers

well, I am with you on that one because most people fail to understand that volunteering must come from heart, They must be willing to go out of their comfort zone, dig deep into their pockets and etc ,and do this without expecting anything back/being paid.

F
    1 Reply
  • @mathapelo said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

We need to go back to the values especially the value of ubuntu which is very important and significantly the most important aspect that grounds people and also motivates volunteers

I agree, the spirit of ubuntu is the foundation of volunteering. Our project is 100% funded by the goodwill of people in the communities where we work. All our donations and mentoring are enabled by the kindness and generosity of ordinary people that live in the areas where we work.

M
    1 Reply
  • @Ilene said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

@mathapelo said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

I agree, the spirit of ubuntu is the foundation of volunteering. Our project is 100% funded by the goodwill of people in the communities where we work. All our donations and mentoring are enabled by the kindness and generosity of ordinary people that live in the areas where we work.

Yes I agree. Somebody has said it well_"give before you ask". I hope the course I am about to begin in the next two days on fundraising will talk too much on that.

• I'm going to disagree with pretty much everyone here. Yes, of course you want volunteers who care about your mission and Ubuntu but I think that the organisation has much more to do with recruiting and keeping active volunteers than the type of person their mission draws. If your organisation is not organised and well-functioning, it doesn't matter how many people care about your cause, you aren't going to keep them coming back. You need to have a system and programme in place for volunteers to come and to stay. If they sit at a desk for 4 hours a day doing nothing or their manager cancels meetings on them regularly, your mission and Ubuntu mean nothing. Responses?

@mathapelo said in #Commitment and Volunteering:

well, I am with you on that one because most people fail to understand that volunteering must come from heart, They must be willing to go out of their comfort zone, dig deep into their pockets and etc ,and do this without expecting anything back/being paid.

That's true. I believe that people have forgotten how to be human. They have forgotten how to help without expecting anything in return. There is nothing wrong with volunteering because while you are helping people, you're also gaining experience.

I think passion is number 1. People gain information and experience through voluntarism.

• Hey,I think we need to make volunteering suitable for long term. I also believe that if the volunteers motives are aligned with organisations objectives, volunteering can be a good investment of time.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.