Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Staff

Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising

In this module, Tom Wolf introduced seven commonly believed but mistaken myths of fundraising. Which myth surprised you the most? Do you have any questions about any of the myths? Post your comments below! If someone has already mentioned the myth that you were thinking about, respond to their post.

In case you have forgotten, here are Tom's 7 myths of fundraising:

1. Fundraising is only about getting cash.
    2. Raising money is all about knowing rich people.
    3. In fundraising, one person gives and another receives.
    4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    5. When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.
    6. A great fundraiser is an individual superstar.
    7. The Internet has completely changed how we do fundraising.

Example post: I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because ______________. One question I have about myth 1 is ___________ .

N
    S
    N
    S
    J
    17 Replies
  • 232 Replies
  • I totally agree that success stories are far better and more important than statistics, for statistics can easily be manipulated. What would be the best way though to ensure that the statistics provided are always credible?

F
    M
    S
    D
    6 Replies
  • I totally agree with point 6: A great fundraiser is an individual superstar.

What happens if you are the only one in an organisation and so you are solely responsible for fundraising efforts?

J
    B
    8 Replies
  • I was really shocked about myth number 4 because I thought that most donors will like like to know all about the organization they are donating to.

A
    K
    S
    N
    6 Replies
  • I have done fund raising before so while listening to the podcast I was trying to co-relate my own experience in fund raising. For myth No. 3, fund raising is not one person gives and other receives, I have found that apart from the satisfaction that donors are supporting good cause, i have found it very challenging to engage with donors, specially when you have large number of institutional donors, it is difficult to give personal attention.
    I have been advised to make best use of available time by talking to donors as much as possible about the organization. But after listening to podcast I realized, it is actually so important to listen to donors and understand their interests and priorities then either co-create or pitch the project which is mutually beneficial.
    Fund raising is challenging for smaller organizations where there is just a single person managing fund raising and other management aspects.
    Lastly in myth 6, I liked how different aspects of fund raising have been articulated.

I
    C
    3 Replies
  • @Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

n this module, Tom Wolf introduced seven commonly believed but mistaken myths of fundraising. Which myth surprised you the most? Do you have any questions about any of the myths? Post your comments below! If someone has already mentioned the myth that you were thinking about, respond to their post.

Fundraising is only about getting cash.
    Raising money is all about knowing rich people.
    In fundraising, one person gives and another receives.
    You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.
    A great fundraiser is an individual superstar.
    The Internet has completely changed how we do fundraising.

Example post: I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because ______________. One question I have about myth 1 is ___________ .

I was surprised about myth 4.
    As much as you need to listen to the donor,it is important for the donor to know more about the organzation and project.

M
    1 Reply
  • @DamiO said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I totally agree with point 6: A great fundraiser is an individual superstar.

What happens if you are the only one in an organisation and so you are solely responsible for fundraising efforts?

I believe that you need to learn how to recruit and train people, especially if it is for a good cause. Grooming a younger or new recruit(s) will prove valuable to your organizations when you are not available in time of need or no longer in a position to handle the task.

L
    1 Reply

In this module, Tom Wolf introduced seven commonly believed but mistaken myths of fundraising. Which myth surprised you the most? Do you have any questions about any of the myths? Post your comments below! If someone has already mentioned the myth that you were thinking about, respond to their post.

4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    5. When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.

Example post: I was most surprised to learn that myth 1 was not true because ___I thought that fundraising was all about soliciting money.. One question I have about myth 1 is what happens if no one is willing to be part of the fundraiser, what happens next? .

• i was surprised to learn that not only fund in monetary value are valuable but also donation in kinds are also valuable .also i learn that you do not have to know about the rich people to be able to identify potential donor but you need to know friends and relative and there you have the donor you want in them.

M
    M
    T
    C
    S
    5 Replies
  • @opeter said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I totally agree that success stories are far better and more important than statistics, for statistics can easily be manipulated. What would be the best way though to ensure that the statistics provided are always credible?

sure this is true statistic may be manipulated to suit what you like.

M
    1 Reply
  • this is amazing like it

• Great lecture.

I actually agreed with myth Number 4 but was surprise about Tom opinion about it. I believe trying to tell a donor as much about your organisation or project will actually give them insight about what you do or about the project you want to carry out.

Telling them about the project may even give them idea of how to render assistance to you

Z
    J
    K
    E
    4 Replies
  • @PoonamGolani said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I totally agree with you.I used to believe fundraising was a you give i receive affair.But how to you support donors who give cash through an account people you don't know or have not seen?

• For me myths number 6 and 7 were eye opening in the sense that I thought it takes a certain type of personality to be able to be a superstar fundraiser and that internet fundraising has changed the old ways. It was very helpful to know the several steps and several team members that are required to a successful fundraiser. I was unaware that there were so many steps between Planning and strategizing to acknowledging when we receive a donation.

Myth number four is also something new that i learned and I think this will not only ensure good relationship it will also aid in to the point communication skills.

A
    1 Reply
  • The 7 Myths of Fundraising.
    Directing a social campaign is more complex than running a commercial business, because you must develop skills that generate trust between your donors and beneficiaries. The teachings of Prf Tom Wolf put into practice the common sense of what you should apply to achieve an effective campaign.
    I found it very true that not all donations is not money, once we receive 40 boxes of cookies by social partners gave us a donation in kind, well that was fast for the cause money because we sell 40 boxes and we could move forward in our social campaign.

• @Jetrin said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

Great lecture.

I actually agreed with myth Number 4 but was surprise about Tom opinion about it. I believe trying to tell a donor as much about your organisation or project will actually give them insight about what you do or about the project you want to carry out.

Telling them about the project may even give them idea of how to render assistance to you

In my personal experience, especially with corporate donors their time is money. Therefore, it is more effective to present to them the information that would align best with their interests and objectives.

• This is the first course that I have ever taken involving fundraising. I was very excited to hear about all the different myths. I was surprised with how much information I already knew just from my own common sense/prior knowledge. I am a Marketing major so connecting with people is something that I value a lot.

The only myth I had a difficult time with was #2, raising money is all about knowing rich people. To me, that does seem very real. I plan to get involved with larger organizations that will want me to raise $100,000-$1,000,000. I do not think that asking my family and friends would be the best approach. I would rather ask them if they know of someone who might be interested in donating money. I try not to mix business with family and friends unless they would insist on donating.

What are your thoughts? I don't think my mind would be changed in this regard but I would love to hear others perspectives.

O
    D
    N
    3 Replies
  • @Osasenaga said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was really shocked about myth number 4 because I thought that most donors will like like to know all about the organization they are donating to.

I believe that the donors will do there own prior research before even meeting with you. They want to make sure that their money is going to where they are expecting it to go. People love talking about themselves, you just have to make sure that the donor is a real donor and not wasting your time.

P
    1 Reply
  • @Tenying said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

For me myths number 6 and 7 were eye opening in the sense that I thought it takes a certain type of personality to be able to be a superstar fundraiser and that internet fundraising has changed the old ways. It was very helpful to know the several steps and several team members that are required to a successful fundraiser. I was unaware that there were so many steps between Planning and strategizing to acknowledging when we receive a donation.

Myth number four is also something new that i learned and I think this will not only ensure good relationship it will also aid in to the point communication skills.

I think that it does take a certain type of personality to be able to raise money. The person should be likable and personable. I don't think that this can be trainable. Some people might be too shy and can make the relationship with the donor BUT can't ask for money.

V
    1 Reply
  • The 7 myths of fundraising is a great eye opener, but i really want to know , is there a way of engaging donors without really having success stories of intending action? More so, when the organisation is still yet to stand on its feet.

• @Anya123 said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

@Tenying said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

For me myths number 6 and 7 were eye opening in the sense that I thought it takes a certain type of personality to be able to be a superstar fundraiser and that internet fundraising has changed the old ways. It was very helpful to know the several steps and several team members that are required to a successful fundraiser. I was unaware that there were so many steps between Planning and strategizing to acknowledging when we receive a donation.

I think that it does take a certain type of personality to be able to raise money. The person should be likable and personable. I don't think that this can be trainable. Some people might be too shy and can make the relationship with the donor BUT can't ask for money.

Asking for money from friends, family and Acquittances require great skills you cant get here.

• I I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 - "always telling donors as much as you can about the organization" was not true but I totally agree people like to talk about things that directly concerns them and it helps if you can relate your work to their own experiences

This is the first course that I have ever taken involving fundraising. I was very excited to hear about all the different myths. I was surprised with how much information I already knew just from my own common sense/prior knowledge. I am a Marketing major so connecting with people is something that I value a lot.

The only myth I had a difficult time with was #2, raising money is all about knowing rich people. To me, that does seem very real. I plan to get involved with larger organizations that will want me to raise $100,000-$1,000,000. I do not think that asking my family and friends would be the best approach. I would rather ask them if they know of someone who might be interested in donating money. I try not to mix business with family and friends unless they would insist on donating.

What are your thoughts? I don't think my mind would be changed in this regard but I would love to hear others perspectives.

I think if you tell your family and friends, your family and friends tell their family and friends and then word keeps spreading until it gets to your rich donor, I don't think that myth means your family and friends would be financial donors, but they could definitely help you spread the word till it gets to your potential donors.

C
    1 Reply
  • Myth #4 was quite a surprise to me, though when thinking about it more thoroughly, it makes a lot more sense to actually listen to people and subtly lead the conversation in order to engage them. Additionally, I feel rather conflicted about Myth #7. At the moment, I am working individually on a start-up that intends to bring English language courses to people from different backgrounds in Chile. Personally, I do not want to team up with other teachers right now, but Tom's myths actually gave me a lot of food for thought regarding looking for people with talents and skills I do not have and also as a way to manage time and resources more efficiently.

• I was shocked by disproving myth 3 that it doesn't about giving and receiving. I mean what if they already have everything and we have nothing to give them?

• @Framunga said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

i was surprised to learn that not only fund in monetary value are valuable but also donation in kinds are also valuable .also i learn that you do not have to know about the rich people to be able to identify potential donor but you need to know friends and relative and there you have the donor you want in them.

It was also interesting for me to realise that donations can also be non-material. For my organisation, important donors can also donate their time and presence for events and for public speaking.

• I thought that module was very insightful. Particularly about myth number 2 and 4. I always thought that having a network of wealthy people was the key to good Fundraising.

I am looking forward to more learning. A.B.

Great lecture.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I really understand better now.

I receive insight about what fundraising is all about, because have never think of it
    But i know someone can start with his/her family before going out to look for donor's.
    Thanks to Tom wolf

• I find myth 3 most surprising because my line of thought has always been to receive from donors. The donors seems to me like 'big brother' who has so much to expend and most likely need nothing in return.

N
    1 Reply
  • This is really an eye opener.

Thanks Tom

• That was an interesting lecture in getting to know the seven myths of fundraising here. It's in deed quite informative . Have ever been wondering what entails the exercise of fund raising, the insights and what one needs to grasp the concept.
    I had always thought as a starter here that fund raising is generally soliciting for monetary value and that in looking for donors is basically discussing issue of money only so we have in kind donations that are valuable .

It is also interesting to pick it up here that stories are weighty than statistics in presenting to donors , have always known quantifying your activities and justifying the outcomes through statistics is more appealing to donors.

• @Maggie_Leslie said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

@DamiO said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I believe that you need to learn how to recruit and train people, especially if it is for a good cause. Grooming a younger or new recruit(s) will prove valuable to your organizations when you are not available in time of need or no longer in a position to handle the task.

I think it goes much further than merely recruiting "new" fundraisers, but rather inspiring and bringing on board others in your organisations from trustees, volunteers, project staff and other donors to assist. My research suggests that inspiring and teaching these people to fundraise with you is as important an element of fundraising as inspiring donors. This too takes a lot of work and skill.

• i was surprised to learn that not only fund in monetary value are valuable but also donation in kinds are also valuable .also i learn that you do not have to know about the rich people to be able to identify potential donor but you need to know friends and relative and there you have the donor you want in them and also I actually agreed with myth Number 4 but was surprise about Tom opinion about it. I believe trying to tell a donor as much about your organisation or project will actually give them insight about what you do or about the project you want to carry out.

• Really the module 1 concerning the 7 myth of fundraising has change my vision about fund raising ,myth 2 we no need to know rich people :before i though fundraising was only getting rich people involve now i have a clear understanding about fundraising myth.Secondly the myth 3 also impressed :because in this is all about mutual exchange as giving and receiving ,I really want philanthropy U partner Mr Tom Wolf for is good and interesting lecturing for this of module 1 and i am also excited to know more about the module 2 .

i was surprised to learn that not only fund in monetary value are valuable but also donation in kinds are also valuable .also i learn that you do not have to know about the rich people to be able to identify potential donor but you need to know friends and relative and there you have the donor you want in them.

I really think that in kind donations are easier to ask for than cash. I once held an event to raise money for Hospice. We were able to get free advertising in the local paper that helped get the word out.

N
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

I was surprised by myth 4 because I thought it was important to state my case by giving as much information as I could without necessarily looking for a link between the donor and my charity

I have done fund raising before so while listening to the podcast I was trying to co-relate my own experience in fund raising. For myth No. 3, fund raising is not one person gives and other receives, I have found that apart from the satisfaction that donors are supporting good cause, i have found it very challenging to engage with donors, specially when you have large number of institutional donors, it is difficult to give personal attention.
    I have been advised to make best use of available time by talking to donors as much as possible about the organization. But after listening to podcast I realized, it is actually so important to listen to donors and understand their interests and priorities then either co-create or pitch the project which is mutually beneficial.
    Fund raising is challenging for smaller organizations where there is just a single person managing fund raising and other management aspects.
    Lastly in myth 6, I liked how different aspects of fund raising have been articulated.

I concur with you in myth 4. I happen to be the one taking the donor around and I decided to be just listening and answering the questions they asking and expounding on them to make sure they understand, and later learnt that it was more satisfying as compared to you just doing the talking and the donor listening.

• I am surprised by myth No.3. To the best of my knowledge I always knew it should be a win win situation in the the donor is satisfied as well as the beneficiary too get satisfied. If only one side wins and the other one feels it lost then it will never be sustainable. This has always been my feeling

• The pointers on myths on fund raising was an eye opener, I guess you never realize how important it is to listen to the "potential" donor but it makes sense because we need to be aware of what they're looking for what makes them "tick". However, expecting anytime type of donation from family can sometimes be a downer. I often find (with my family) there are always complaints about what they don't have and questions on why they can't give or support your cause. Often I feel I have to bend over backwards to get family support. But perhaps that is because I always expected them to contribute cash. I now see if I asked them for "in kind" donations I would probably have their full support.

One other thing, I just recently relocated from the Bahamas, because I work from home I haven't had a chance to get out there and meet people. Its something I definitely have to work on.

Lots of good info shared.

• None of the myths were too surprising, they all make complete sense, and are logical, but for me the most valuable one is
    myth No.4: In fundraising, one person gives and another receives.
    I am the kind of person who do not like to ask for something from people (that is the reason I was always reluctant to jump into fundraising), but this statement opens up a new way of looking at the fundraising. It is no longer one way relation, but two way (mutual beneficial relation).

N
    1 Reply

Great lecture.

I share your sentiments on this one but I also think the best strategy is to figure out first if the potential donor is a natural talker or listener, then you can talk more about your cause or listen more and only speaking to highlight the connections

• I´m really excited about this subject. I really think that we have following good steps for fundraising, I now I can know that is not true! But what is most important is that we can do the improvements to specific areas, and in that way be more efficient and connect with our donors.

O
    1 Reply
  • I find it funny that all along I have been treating these myths as truth about fundraising

K
    N
    2 Replies
  • @EdmeContreras said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I´m really excited about this subject. I really think that we have following good steps for fundraising, I now I can know that is not true! But what is most important is that we can do the improvements to specific areas, and in that way be more efficient and connect with our donors.

Exactly, improvements are key

Great lecture.

I totally agree with myth number 4 too. It allows you to understand their stories better

You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.

I need further clarity on myth 4: You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible. Initially I was thinking that in fund raising, one has to impress the donor about what their organization or project is solely about. But it turns out that it is not the case.

Fundraising comprises of different components, and to achieve the best and be truly great, one has to leverage on the strength of others. in a situation where you are alone in an organisation, it wont be farfetched to seek volunteers, as they can also assist in making your organisation known to the public

• I also believe that indeed fund raising is not just done by an individual person but by a team. As everybody in an organization have their own skills which they can bring to the table. So Myth 6 is indeed an interesting one.

In as much as having enough cash flow is a vital tool needed to solve a lot of challenges in our society today. It is not enough to be successful in making positive impact. Kind giving is also as valuable as cash donations.
    A great fundraiser just like I learnt is not a lone ranger but has a team of likemimds who work together to achieving success.
    Thanks for the great insights in the module. I look forward to learning more in subsequent modules.

• I have been involved in fundraising meetings with multiple humanitarian donors, and we have been focusing so much on myth number five and instead of giving them the real life stories which we have huge numbers of them, we end up providing them with the facts and figures and how we would be able to assist the government, come out of this miss.
    In really most of the times, in fundraising event or occasions we do make these common mistakes and we think that the donors are actually not interested in our cause, not knowing that we have actually made the biggest mistake, so as Tom said in the podcast, it really important to refresh minds about these myths all the time or at least once in a while.

O
    1 Reply

I have done fund raising before so while listening to the podcast I was trying to co-relate my own experience in fund raising. For myth No. 3, fund raising is not one person gives and other receives, I have found that apart from the satisfaction that donors are supporting good cause, i have found it very challenging to engage with donors, specially when you have large number of institutional donors, it is difficult to give personal attention.

I also think the same about what I can give back to institutional donors. Now I know better.

Myth 4.
    We should listen to the donor but also them about the organization or project as much as possible so that they can connect with the organization and see the efforts they had made.

G
    1 Reply
  • @omajeedi said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I have been involved in fundraising meetings with multiple humanitarian donors, and we have been focusing so much on myth number five and instead of giving them the real life stories which we have huge numbers of them, we end up providing them with the facts and figures and how we would be able to assist the government, come out of this miss.
    In really most of the times, in fundraising event or occasions we do make these common mistakes and we think that the donors are actually not interested in our cause, not knowing that we have actually made the biggest mistake, so as Tom said in the podcast, it really important to refresh minds about these myths all the time or at least once in a while.

I societies, or in countries where the corruption is in its high peak how these myths would not be true, for example myth # 1 fundraising is only about getting cash, and if you see this from the perspective societies where corruption is really in high peak how to respond to people who are actually funding you cause, because the basic thing which is actually the believe is missing there? So would really welcome any comments or answers on this specific topic?

• Raising money is all about knowing rich people.

As a project director who is tasked with raising funds for my organization, I've always thought you need to know rich people to get funds for the beneficiaries now I know better.

Also I've always thought the Organization alone is the one gaining from the donation. I now know there are things I can give back to the donors e.g calling to check up on them periodically, commiserating with them in their time of need etc.

I've always been the only one running around looking for donors. I will now have to start building a team to assist me in this.

Thanks very much for this course.

• Myth number 2 says that you don't have to know rich people to be an effective fundraiser, i slightly disagree even with my little experience because of issues to do with time to make a difference happen and funds to actually make it happen require the a large amount of money, which most of the time force NPO's to jump the queue and present your ideas to a rich donor. This happens due to having little success in getting such connections from your close family and friends

• its a good insight into fundraising.
    Until now ,i thought fundraising is all about getting cash. Also Myth 3, threw me off balance,s :'One gives and the other takes'. rather both receives. Fundraising has been demistyfied. Thanks

@opeter said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I totally agree that success stories are far better and more important than statistics, for statistics can easily be manipulated. What would be the best way though to ensure that the statistics provided are always credible?

sure this is true statistic may be manipulated to suit what you like.

Success story are far better because it is really tangible. Most time statistic can be doctored

• I was very surprised in point 3 because I think everyone can donate

• Really the module 1 concerning the 7 myth of fundraising has change my vision about fund raising ,myth 2 we no need to know rich people :before i though fundraising was only getting rich people involve now i have a clear understanding about fundraising myth.Secondly the myth 3 also impressed :because in this is all about mutual exchange as giving and receiving ,I really want philanthropy U partner Mr Tom Wolf for is good and interesting lecturing for this of module 1 and i am also excited to know more about the module 2 .

• I found that, Truth number seven, fundraising via the internet is the best way and suitable way to raise the found around the globe, through the organic plateform of fundraising.
    Thanks to give us these idea.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because i have been told that donors want to know more aboutwhat you do______________. One question I have about myth 4 is why must i always do the talking and listening?___________ .

• I found it interesting to approach fundraising with the mindset that every party is gaining something in the process. I've always thought of it as gifting but rather should be thinking of it as a transaction.

• The myth that surprised me the most was myth #3: In fundraising, one person gives and the other receives. This stood out to me the most because I have thought of fundraising as a transactional process, wherein the donor doesn't get much in return. Busting this myth has allowed for me to see fundraising with a better lens and will help for me to execute fundraising more appropriately and in a way that both parties benefit.

• I was surprise to learn that my

• Myth 3 stood out for me because, it was perceived that, Donors only give and the organisation receives, bit myth 3 clarified that myth. Fund raising transactions in which both sides receives something tangible or intangible in exchange for a gift. Give the donor your friendship and time, it could be the value in which the donor holds dear.
    It is very important to ensure that one is clear about whatever we are offering when you ask for resources from the donor.

• @opeter said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

you can do personal research

• I was also thinking along those lines, I agree with you

• Myth 3 surprised because i have always thought that fundraising is all about giving by (Donor) while receiving nothing from the one who receives.

• the first myth shows how ignorant Iam thinking that fundraising is nothing but cash. By this I understand that fundraising can be of any form. THe last myth is completely new for me that internet plays a major role.

• I was so surprised to learn the myth number 3 that fundraising is a transaction in which both sides receive something i don't understand how a fundraiser can give or do something back to the donor as recompense.

I totally agree with you... listening to donors and understanding their interest goes a long way. Why should they support your cause when it doesn't portray their values. Talk less, listen more! great insight.

• I was surprised about myth no. 4 because I thought the donor ought to know much about your organisation before donating.
    True, the donor is just intereted in certain areas of your organisation, but it really suprised me a great deal.

1 Reply
  • @LawrenceKariuki said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was surprised about myth no. 4 because I thought the donor ought to know much about your organisation before donating.
    True, the donor is just intereted in certain areas of your organisation, but it really suprised me a great deal.

It is the fist time I get myself involved in the world of fundraising. It was very interesting to learn more about what is fundraising all about and debunk these myths. I was surprise about Myth # 4 as well. I would have thought the more information you give, the more you could get the donor to relate with your cause. Also, Myth #1 got me motivated. Maybe I could donate some of my spare time soon. Looking forward to continuing with this course.

• Awesome! Great insights I tell you.

• I was very surprised that the internet did not replace personal and direct contact with donors. It is one of the few things in the world that has not been swallowed up on the internet, this is very important because trust is born, grows and prevails with face-to-face contact.
    What will be the most important point of using the internet in getting help?

I personally think, we all have been up close and experienced these myths, and perhaps believed them. These are good eye openers.

Hello, I just came in. I think it's great and better to work as a team. It can be overwhelming to work alone on fundraising.

I think this one surprised me more than all the rest because I thought that donors would want to know a lot before providing their donations to support your nonprofit, particularly major donors. However, it's comforting to know that this is not the case because it provides nonprofits less pressure to deliver lots of detail to potential donors.

@Osasenaga said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I was really shocked about myth number 4 because I thought that most donors will like like to know all about the organization they are donating to.

I believe that the donors will do there own prior research before even meeting with you. They want to make sure that their money is going to where they are expecting it to go. People love talking about themselves, you just have to make sure that the donor is a real donor and not wasting your time.

I agree and maybe there will be some donors who will want to know a lot, but I think that's where nonprofits can step up to this individual donor needs as reasonably able to do so and possible.

• @jamestj3 said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

@Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I personally think, we all have been up close and experienced these myths, and perhaps believed them. These are good eye openers.

True

• The myth that surprises me the most is myth 3 which states that one person gives and the other receives.Its weird that both parties must have something to give until i learnt about the 7 myths of fundraising.
    However, for the sake of this discourse, my question is, what are some of the things that a fundraiser can give in exchange for a gift in cah and in hand aside from offering the giver to be a partner in the initiative or project.

• @Driungu said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

@Course_Operations said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

n this module, Tom Wolf introduced seven commonly believed but mistaken myths of fundraising. Which myth surprised you the most? Do you have any questions about any of the myths? Post your comments below! If someone has already mentioned the myth that you were thinking about, respond to their post.

When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.

I was surprised about myth 4.

As much as you need to listen to the donor,it is important for the donor to know more about the organzation and project.

i totally agree with myth 6 as a forest can never make a tree, hence there is need for collaboration with same minds by either training or a form of recruitment. And remembering the podcast,we do not need a large number of people to grow a formidable team. Good and like minds will grow the vision.

• @Osasenaga said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

That's exactly what I think too. So this myth surprise me, but is so true that people want to speak out, have others attention specially this days.

• I have experienced Point No. 4 in every deals where an investor/ Donor directly asks for the revenue generation strategy. On the other hand the fund seeker more concentrate on his organization and its activities. Which results into failure of deal.
    Just speak what other person wants to listen, The Donors are primarily focused on revenue generation and other things comes as secondary items.

• I was not surprised by the myths but it was very interesting to learn about them. Based on my experience with a previous organisation, I thought that myth four was key in gaining interest and investors. So, I am glad we debunked that myth.
    Additionally, myth one reminded me that we should also take into consideration the quality of the products or investments we put into resources. For example, an organisation where the focus of stretching resources have lead them to lose sight of the quality, for instance, buying inferior quality pens or markers.

1 Reply

In
    es, I began to expand my circle and work on the myth of the seven legends and the oldest facts and the full knowledge of the donors about my organization always

• Apr 19, 2019, 1:42 AM

• Am most surprised about myth 4because I thought that u should most definitely tell the donor more about the organization rather than listen to their interest.but I have learnt that u should balance both interests for effective service delivery.

• I'm particularly surprised by myth 1. I've always thought fundraising to be monetary, I glad to know now that there's more to fundraising than meets the eye.

Q: In a fundraising campaign and the needed material is monetary but you have donors who can donate others, what can be done?

• Course Facilitator

@opeter said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

I am also totally agreed with myth 5, as success story are more tangible evidence as compared to statistics which might be bias or manipulated.

• Course Facilitator

Myth 4 was an eye opening for me. Although I've never engage in fundraising before, I always thought that you can only secure donors when they know more about your organisation and what you do, not knowing it mostly work the other way round. I'm really happy that I enrolled in this course.

• Course Facilitator

Myth 3 is another eye opening. I always thought it was a one way street that is, only the organisation is benefiting from donors. Now I know that we should not only reach out to donors when we need funding but we should reach out to see how we can assist them in their endeavours or challenging times.

• Course Facilitator

The myth that surprised me the most was Nr7, I thought that it would have changed everything, however I can see how what he said made absolute sense.

My question is based on Nr6 - What if you are the only one working on the organisation at this stage... Do you get volunteers in or do you do what you can with what you have?

N
    1 Reply
  • I have grasped all the seven but the testing exercise was very tricky. All the true statements seemed all true.

N
    1 Reply
  • I am surprised, yet humbled to see number three as that is one of the biggest reasons which is a cause of discouragement for this organizational aspect. I have high regard for those connections and don't want to be seen as only asking rather than sharing or giving as well, but if people can truly see the mission and decide to help; they understand what is being given to not only them but the constituents of our programs.

• I was most surprised to learn about myth 4 because i always thought you needed to let the donor know so much so you can get them to give you what you need. How will i get the donor to buy into my project without talking about my project?

N
    1 Reply

so inspiring that raising money is all about knowing rich people. i am surprised that i know so many family members friends and acquaintances who can easily form the donor network.

• I found myth 3 of particular interest. In the Association I volunteer, we are intending to increase our donors participation. I believe that the result is that they feel much more engaged with our project

N
    1 Reply

I was most surprised too to learn that myth 4 was not true because as you said, the donor would need to know about your organization and it would be the natural thing to do to tell them about the organization. But after listening to the podcast I see where you can start out telling them about the company but give them room to ask questions and you will be directed to their interest.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.