Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Staff

Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety

In Module 2, you learned how to make the ask and thank the donor while reducing anxiety and discomfort with the process of fundraising.

In a discussion post below, please respond to the following questions:

1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    2: What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work?

And if you are not currently working at an organization or have never fundraised before... just imagine that you are about to begin your first day in fundraising at an organization!

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

D
    M
    S
    A
    L
    15 Replies
  • 108 Replies
  • Meeting the demands and the feedback of the donors

1 Reply
  • The most scariest part is the actual ask. My fear is also rejection like Hoover. I need to come to terms that no just means come back another time. I should learn from the experience.
    Also, I realized that "Thank you" notes were not a major part of our process and this clearly needs to change. I am so excited about looking at fundraising in a different way and not being afraid anymore.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

The most anxious part is after having mustered all the courage/ energy and making myself presentable to Be REJECTED!

But I have come to terms with it! Its ONLY a NO, nothing much but on the other hand it is a learning experience for me. It means I was not 100% up to it and that means the donor said come prepared again. I will definitely try again! Be more compelling and presentable!

D
    F
    P
    5 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@N25 said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most scariest part is the actual ask. My fear is also rejection like Hoover. I need to come to terms that no just means come back another time. I should learn from the experience.
    Also, I realized that "Thank you" notes were not a major part of our process and this clearly needs to change. I am so excited about looking at fundraising in a different way and not being afraid anymore.

True for every one us: The actual ask is already making us nervous and Rejection makes it worse but we've to learn that NO means come back again, be well prepared! Great isn't it?
    And Thank you notes are always, always important! Every one (even an anonymous donor) would expect one!
    cheers!

R
    1 Reply
  • 1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    I think the most challenging aspect is the final step of actually asking for the money. I hate asking people for anything and most of all, money. Hopefully, it will get easier over time, but I'm not looking forward to it.

2: What is one way you have made or plan to make this aspect of fundraising easier in your work?
    I think preparing by getting to know your donor first will make the job easier. The conversation will put me more at ease and they'll be more likely to donate knowing that I did my homework.

M
    2 Replies
  • @Shooren said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most anxious part is after having mustered all the courage/ energy and making myself presentable to Be REJECTED!

But I have come to terms with it! Its ONLY a NO, nothing much but on the other hand it is a learning experience for me. It means I was not 100% up to it and that means the donor said come prepared again. I will definitely try again! Be more compelling and presentable!

This definitely makes me anxious! I like the suggestion of asking what you could do differently next time to ensure a donation. I think it shows that your open for growth and your determined to get their support.

• The asking aspect

1 Reply
  • @Course_Operations said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    I only have experience in fundraising events and online fundraising through social media, even though I feel confident that when I make my first Ask that I will do so with ease, I do know the initial moments of walking in to a meeting until I or the donor breaks the ice that these moments will be intense. At least the first few, but I believe that after you have successfully managed through a few, the ones that follow will come easily. I guess, the way you look at rejection and being successful is a big factor. For me, if I were to go into a meeting and leave without any funds this wouldn't be a failure in my mind. This would be a success because I was at least strong enough to make the call/letter and go to the meeting with my best intentions and with a cause worthy of sharing. Whether or not the person bites, is not my fault and there will be plenty others I will be able to share with in hopes to land the ASK.
    I hope to be able to use this course as a way to share this information with other members of our team. So not only myself, but others will take these tasks on. Allowing us to make a bigger reach in terms of connections and donations.
    And if you are not currently working at an organization or have never fundraised before... just imagine that you are about to begin your first day in fundraising at an organization!

I have plenty of experience asking those who are close to me for support for my causes, the one thing I have yet to do is use those close to me to reach even further. To ask them to reach out on my behalf and see if we together can reach a little further. I like this idea and cannot wait to put it to work!

1 Reply
  • @DCopeland said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I think the most challenging aspect is the final step of actually asking for the money. I hate asking people for anything and most of all, money. Hopefully, it will get easier over time, but I'm not looking forward to it.

I think preparing by getting to know your donor first will make the job easier. The conversation will put me more at ease and they'll be more likely to donate knowing that I did my homework.

I think we all dislike asking for money, but when you are asking for money for a cause close to your heart, something you have invested a lot of time and energy into to help something or someone rise above their current situation. This has to have you feeling proud. No, amount of money or people saying NO can take that pride away. You are there, you are putting the time and hard work into making your organization succeed in its mission. I know you need your donors, but if there is one...there will be another. You stepped out of your comfort zone once, you can do it again and the more we do it the easier it is!

S
    1 Reply
  • The most anxious part for me is making the ask for the donation. I want to be sure I did a good job of asking for the donation in a elegant manner.

After that, I the next thing to most anxious for me is how I handle rejection, in case it happens, that will maybe open a door to a Yes later.

1 Reply
  • @Course_Operations said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

In Module 2, you learned how to make the ask and thank the donor while reducing anxiety and discomfort with the process of fundraising.

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

For me, the prettiest scary moment is when asking money to the donor. It's not always easy asking money it appears to be super easy but in fact it is not. We have to convince donor first to our course it's only after that we can dare asking for money.

I think one of the way that I made it easier for me is to focus in my persuasive way of joining people to my cause and after that I can ask for money. According to me, this is one of the easiest way of doing so.

• @Museme said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@DCopeland said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I think we all dislike asking for money, but when you are asking for money for a cause close to your heart, something you have invested a lot of time and energy into to help something or someone rise above their current situation. This has to have you feeling proud. No, amount of money or people saying NO can take that pride away. You are there, you are putting the time and hard work into making your organization succeed in its mission. I know you need your donors, but if there is one...there will be another. You stepped out of your comfort zone once, you can do it again and the more we do it the easier it is!

Sure! We all don't like asking money because sometimes we might find ourselves in a shameful situation. We don't like people having bad idea about us and we are afraid of rejections.

1 Reply
  • My anxious time for fundraising is face to face ask, I supplement thia with phone calls, emailing, text messages etc.

M
    1 Reply
  • The best fund-raisers I have seen have done their asks several thousand times, and they know how to connect to every single type of donor.

They have also shared that failure/rejection (even in their case) is something that happens normally in the course of business, and that life goes on. They would have been terribly affected if they were in a different business like a surgeon in an operating theatre and failure means a devastating impact on a patient's life. But thankfully, they are in the fundraising business, and rejection of an asks basically means "no for now" - still potential opportunity in the future, or "no forever", accept and move on to other potential prospects/donors.

1 Reply

The most challenging aspect to me is quoting the amount of money i need because I do not know the the exact financial position of my donor, i just do not know whether am quoting much more or very less. In order to deal with this, I will make research including looking for those organisation the donor has helped before and hoe much he offered.

1 Reply
  • @isanyaya said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

My anxious time for fundraising is face to face ask, I supplement thia with phone calls, emailing, text messages etc.

Hahaha hallo isanya,
    I like your approach because i basically use the same.

1 Reply
  • I was anxious in the support part because I have a lot of respect for all our donors , and sometimes I felt ashamed by asking for money.
    A solution to this shame I feel, is to breathe and think that I do this for the good of the children I want to help so deeply.

J
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@MarianShi said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I was anxious in the support part because I have a lot of respect for all our donors , and sometimes I felt ashamed by asking for money.
    A solution to this shame I feel, is to breathe and think that I do this for the good of the children I want to help so deeply.

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @MarianShi. Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource?

• Course Facilitator

@JosephLuaWeiHon said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The best fund-raisers I have seen have done their asks several thousand times, and they know how to connect to every single type of donor.

They have also shared that failure/rejection (even in their case) is something that happens normally in the course of business, and that life goes on. They would have been terribly affected if they were in a different business like a surgeon in an operating theatre and failure means a devastating impact on a patient's life. But thankfully, they are in the fundraising business, and rejection of an asks basically means "no for now" - still potential opportunity in the future, or "no forever", accept and move on to other potential prospects/donors.

Woww thanks @JosephLuaWeiHon nice one. Some No may simply mean come back another day No reason to lose hope.
    Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource?

• Course Facilitator

@AbdullateefSalami said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most anxious part for me is making the ask for the donation. I want to be sure I did a good job of asking for the donation in a elegant manner.

After that, I the next thing to most anxious for me is how I handle rejection, in case it happens, that will maybe open a door to a Yes later.

@AbdullateefSalami. Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising. Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource to help you manage that anxiety?

1 Reply
  • 1: What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
    I think my most anxious aspect of fundraising is Asking for Money, because it's a delicate topic to talk about, even with friends! So, I think that this tips are excellent for reducing anxiety.

Just request an approximate amount of funds, just do it and apparently all fears disappear

1 Reply
  • @MarianShi said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I was anxious in the support part because I have a lot of respect for all our donors , and sometimes I felt ashamed by asking for money.

I very much agree with you because I feel the same, but our passion for helping others comes first and we take out the strengths to do it, greetings!

1 Reply

Asking for money, it's always somewhat challenging for me but will try the strategies in this course
    strikethrough text

L
    2 Replies
  • 1-For me the most important aspect is to start conversation at a right time. Rest of the parts are easy for me.

2- I am putting my best to improve picking up all verbal and non verbal cues to identify exactly when the potential Donner is ready to be involved in well structured conversation keeping in view his attention span and any other distracting factors. I try to use best hook best line/paragraph and of course sinker( what action is required from Donner).

• @jlunab said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@MarianShi said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I very much agree with you because I feel the same, but our passion for helping others comes first and we take out the strengths to do it, greetings!

I believe that you must not be ashamed of asking money from Donner as you are requesting this money for the cause you or your organization is supporting. You are asking them to join their hands with you.

1 Reply

Anxiety no. 4 (No). Taking No for an answer has always been anxious and awful to.

This is because I always dread rejection and it used to make me feel like I was effort less.

However, having gone through the course I can now comfortably handle and take No for an answer. This to me could now mean not now but come back another time.

1 Reply
  • @AreGra said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@Course_Operations said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

Asking for money, it's always somewhat challenging for me but will try the strategies in this course
    strikethrough text

How are you going to overcome this?

1 Reply
  • Answer to question 1. For me, it's the transition stage from the casual conversation to the asking for the donor contribution. At that stage, things can really go out of hand. One may have been having a good conversation and attention of the donor at that point and either of 1- the donor want to continue talking about him/her self and the conversation dragging on for too long that it's something difficult to interrupt. And 2- during the good conversation, the donor may receive call or information bothering on emergency and have to prosponing the meeting till a later date.
    Either of the two scenario, could make one not to have the opportunity to make a proper landing for the money and can make all preparation seems futile at the moment, momentarily no matter what the outcome of such meeting could be.

Answer to question 2.
    Through this course, I have gotten all I could in making a smooth transition within a short period of starting a conversation to making the asking for the donor money without being pushy, forceful and or being insensitive to the donor mood. And also, setting the tune for the next round of fundraising.
    Thanks.

1 Reply
  • please respond to the following questions:

1.My challenging aspect is identifying a donor who is interested in a program that my organisation need funding since various donors have specific interests.Also the most anxious moment is after i identify a potential donor and approach for donation is to get rejected as much as i would be comfortable waiting for his response.

2.For fundraising to be easier for me i will need to understand the donors very well before approaching them.In terms of what they deal with and the areas they offer support.
    I will link the donor motivation to give with the core objective of the organisation programs.
    Ask for advice from them,then ask for funding.

Thank you.

F
    2 Replies
  • @Museme said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@DCopeland said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I agree with you.When an effort is put to help and support the mission of your organisation and one is turned down is really discouraging but all the same at some point donors respond to our mission in support of the society to achieve sustainable development.

Thank you.

• @DCopeland said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

Hello. It's true most people feel really uncomfortable asking others for any form of assistance but like me, i learnt a lot and come to terms and really familiar with the word- No. And what I try to do is to slipt the word-No to two. The real No and the just No. With the real No, I appreciate, learn my lesson and move on or simply come back to ask same person next time for something totally different from the first meeting. With the other No; in know it's actually a Yes but not really convinced enough. Something is missing in my presentation and needs to be adjusted.
    In all, about any form of assistance one maybe seeking, what's at the back of my mind at all time is that-'Self-interest alone moves men'. I find the angle that will hook deeply, emotionally and fiducially (benefits).
    To really do great things in life- you have to seek the assistance and cooperation of others. One can Never do anything outstanding without most especially the criticism and of course the cooperation of others.
    With this at the back of your mind, ASKING for assistance from others will be an OK+ .

1 Reply
  • @Shooren said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@N25 said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most scariest part is the actual ask. My fear is also rejection like Hoover. I need to come to terms that no just means come back another time. I should learn from the experience.

True for every one us: The actual ask is already making us nervous and Rejection makes it worse but we've to learn that NO means come back again, be well prepared! Great isn't it?
    And Thank you notes are always, always important! Every one (even an anonymous donor) would expect one!
    cheers!

cheers!!

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Hadey . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @N25 . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @DCopeland . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Driungu . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @OluwaseunPepperOdejimi . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @AreGra . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Lydiah . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Faizi . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @AreGra . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @jlunab . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @AbdullateefSalami . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @isanyaya . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Matata . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Stanley92 . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Museme . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @AAW . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Shooren . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

1 Reply

The first time I tried to do this I remember having organized the approach well, developed my case, identified people who were ready to help, and then, ufff! ... I had to do it myself, there the fear took me from assault. but what was my afraid of? did not know how to introduce the question, did not know how to put the request in a way that suited the temperament of my interlocutor. He was a person who planned with care and detail. I was basically afraid to hear a non-round, and that made me feel anxious.

The biggest fear was that I did not seem stupid, mainly because would not think I had all the details of the potential partner. as a solution I had to improve my research and the data I had in my possession to be more convincing in my approach. the other great enemy that threatened me is the fear of rejection. but then I thought, if they tell me NO, they also miss the opportunity to help those who need their help most, and would probably look for others interested in doing philanthropic work.

1: The most anxious and challenging aspect of fundraising is "Asking for money" , I get nervous when I have to ask someone for money.
    2: To focus on the donor and his interests that he is the hero and how great donor is and how he makes “things” happen.

F
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Cmnyarangi said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Shooren . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

Yes, I did. It was very helpful.
    Thank you

1. The most challenging aspect is to ask for money.

2. The easiest plan to fund raise is creating a good relationship with the donors.

The most daunting part is the asking. Because sometimes I think that the donor is not going to respond to my letter or may not interested.

I have learnt many thing in the exercise we just done how to make you letter more clear for the donor to accept it.

• @Driungu said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

please respond to the following questions:

1.My challenging aspect is identifying a donor who is interested in a program that my organisation need funding since various donors have specific interests.Also the most anxious moment is after i identify a potential donor and approach for donation is to get rejected as much as i would be comfortable waiting for his response.

2.For fundraising to be easier for me i will need to understand the donors very well before approaching them.In terms of what they deal with and the areas they offer support.
    I will link the donor motivation to give with the core objective of the organisation programs.
    Ask for advice from them,then ask for funding.

Thank you.

I agree with you, you need to know well and their area of interest before writing to them. What they have done and make them feel like that they want to help you before writing to meeting them.

My anxious and challenging is the asking. Sometimes I think that the donor would not respond to my letter or not interested in the issue I am writing about. The amount of money is also a problem to me when it comes to asking. Sometimes fear and placed lesser the amount need for the program to become successful.

1. I learnt that before writing to donor you should have had enough information about the donor his area of interest and what he has been doing to help others achieve their goal before come interm with him.

2. If I want ti fundraise for the first time I would did proper research about our donor know them well before writing to them. and I would mentioned our organisation name and what the it stand for and how we have helped disadvantage people regain their strength. In this light I would bring a story about a victims who we have help to change their lives. My letter is not going to be personal not impersonal with the name of the donor and what he has done. I have to be specific about the help we need and what we need them for. Asking him for meeting that I would need his advice and guidance on this issue at the time it would connivance for him or her. Lastly I would say thank you.

• I have learnt a lot that you need to know the donor area of interest and you have to asking but be specific about what you are asking for raising a story and and been be impersonal thank him at the end this will reduce anxiety

1 Reply
  • @Aleryani said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@Course_Operations said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

1: The most anxious and challenging aspect of fundraising is "Asking for money" , I get nervous when I have to ask someone for money.
    2: To focus on the donor and his interests that he is the hero and how great donor is and how he makes “things” happen.

Yes it is true know the donor well and it area of interest

Rejection always breaks my confidence but you have to be persevere visiting and contact you donor by reminding them is really important. Some donor like to see how serious the you are or your program let not rejection drove us away from achieving our goal

• I only find it difficult to know the donor but the ask in not my problem because the feedback will be based on how i have presented to the donor. Donation question can receive a positive or negative feedback at worse the wait which as a fundraiser i have gotten acquainted to and feel ready to dare any donor identified.
    Once a donor mapping is done and the list of donors is availed i will venture to achieve.

• @fodays961 said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I have learnt a lot that you need to know the donor area of interest and you have to asking but be specific about what you are asking for raising a story and and been be impersonal thank him at the end this will reduce anxiety

Indeed, it is very important to know the donor interest and the launch your attack skillfully and you will always receive if you scan well the donor. I have made some fundraising without this skill we are gaining fro TOU putting it to practice may make me a better fundraiser than before.
    Yeah being specific about the ask as you mentioned is very true and therefore each of us should know what they want before making a ask. the planning matters alot.

• Hi All,
    I am always afraid of the rejection, making that first call, asking for money, but once I get going there is no stopping

• I should learn from the experience.
    Also, I say "Thank you" and I am so excited about looking at fundraising in a different way

• the aspect of asking but i now understand how to reduce the anxiety by not feeling bad whenever i am told "NO"

• My major fear is the rejection aspect. Some organisation follow suit to listen to all what we have to say but when it gets to letting out the funds they will say we should check back another time.
    Thank you for the lessons I think will need to stay be at there face for better response next time

1. What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
      The most anxious aspect of fundraising for me is starting the conversation, this is because one has to have some knowledge about the donor in mind. You might even have the information but the mood is also an important factor. This determines the feedback/responses from the donor.

Do your assignment by properly searching for in-depth information about your donor as this will give you foresight on how to handle the mood of your prospective donor. I agreed with Dr. Tom when he said we should probably find a recent event through which a conversation could be initiated.

L
    S
    2 Replies
  • By my self the challenging situation is to transform someone you know into donor,sometimes you may know someone ability and willingness to donate and perhaps already done that in other organization but you have previous relationship with him,may be your relative.
    To solve the issue i may request other person from our organization to solicit him,or i may use my other relative to inform him about the program we have and the assistance we need,when get the news and get back to me,from there i can handle the situation.
    Our organization is very new we never and no one in our organization performed fundraising before,but we plan to do fundraising,before we start we have planned first to be the donors to our area,we will donate our time and effort to clean the grave yard in our area that left uncleaned with a lot of grass and unsuitable environment,after that we planned plant some tree to some primary schools around our area and perform some other activities that will keep environment better this may also cost some amount that we already raise it through small savings,the aim of doing it is first to create awareness to society that we exist,second to show the society that we are doing things for our society not for our self,also we want to show that we can do something,before make big programs and beg for money is better to start with small one that you can afford so that the one who wish to give money can trust you,after our community recognize us,our activities and goals,there we can start programs that need donor money or service.

The most challenging aspect is actually asking people you know or you've met before to support your organization. Even though it seems easier because you already know them, the truth is that do not expect you to see them as donors.
    I have arranged meetings in places that provide an environment that will eventually help my ask: cafeterias where the owners are cat lovers and you see the animals all over the place in great condition, or pet friendly restaurants where families go with their furred family members.

• @onoriodegold said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

1. What to you is the most anxious or challenging aspect of fundraising, and why?
      The most anxious aspect of fundraising for me is starting the conversation, this is because one has to have some knowledge about the donor in mind. You might even have the information but the mood is also an important factor. This determines the feedback/responses from the donor.

Do your assignment by properly searching for in-depth information about your donor as this will give you foresight on how to handle the mood of your prospective donor. I agreed with Dr. Tom when he said we should probably find a recent event through which a conversation could be initiated.

You're so right about the mood element, not every day is adequate to do an ask. The moment of the day may also have an influence, but if there is no control over the mood, maybe our task can include changing the donor's mood as well !

• The most anxious moment of fundraising for me me is the "making the ask itself" aspect. This aspect scared me so much because i dont want the donor to reject my request. But after studying through d whole thing,i learnt other aspects of dealing it.
    My work place need to improve in the aspect of thanking d donor. They need to treat d small donors in such a way they dont lose them,because the small donors might convert to a much larger one someday

M
    1 Reply

The most challenging aspect for fund raising is to ask for money to someone. I personally do not have the quality to ask for money from someone. But the course designer helped me to come over with that anxiety by helping with how to ask for money.
    I targeted to make the donor feel very important and easier to donate money with eagerness. It will be possible for me because i can make people feel that I am asking money for their own interest and wills.
    It is a bit embarrassing and challenging though but i believe is not going to very difficult task for me.

S
    2 Replies
  • @suleimanshettima said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most anxious moment of fundraising for me me is the "making the ask itself" aspect. This aspect scared me so much because i dont want the donor to reject my request. But after studying through d whole thing,i learnt other aspects of dealing it.
    My work place need to improve in the aspect of thanking d donor. They need to treat d small donors in such a way they dont lose them,because the small donors might convert to a much larger one someday

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @suleimanshettima . Did you find the module content to be a helpful resource? Do you have any other resources you find helpful?

The most challenging aspect for fund raising is to ask for money to someone. I personally do not have the quality to ask for money from someone. But the course designer helped me to come over with that anxiety by helping with how to ask for money.
    I targeted to make the donor feel very important and easier to donate money with eagerness. It will be possible for me because i can make people feel that I am asking money for their own interest and wills.
    It is a bit embarrassing and challenging though but i believe is not going to very difficult task for me.

• @MohammadSahabuddin said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @MohammadSahabuddin. It was my answers as well and i believe we can share vies regarding this course.

F
    1 Reply
  • @MohammadSahabuddin said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @MohammadSahabuddin. I felt exactly the same way you felt about the questions. May be we can talk further about finding solutions.

The most challenging aspect of fundraising for me is the silent treatment and getting the answer NO!

How ever, I intend to make it easier (and it can only get better) by not making it a 'chore' after all donors are also human beings.l get to know them personally.More of them and less and less of my Organisation.

• Yes, getting to know them is very very essential.

• Course Facilitator

Thank you all for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising. Hope you find the module content to be a helpful resource?
    Do you have any other resources you find helpful? Please share with us
    Happy learning #strike the balance

• I think meeting with the donor for the first time would be a difficult part and moving the discussion to the transition part would also be a difficult part to do.
    However, I think, scheduling a meeting with the donor would be one way of expressing interest in the donor area of concern and would equally inform the donor about who you are and what kind of discussions you could likely engage in at the meeting with him. This will in a way get the donor's mind prepared for ideas and suggestions and support you will be asking from them.
    Thank you

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Enyam said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I think meeting with the donor for the first time would be a difficult part and moving the discussion to the transition part would also be a difficult part to do.
    However, I think, scheduling a meeting with the donor would be one way of expressing interest in the donor area of concern and would equally inform the donor about who you are and what kind of discussions you could likely engage in at the meeting with him. This will in a way get the donor's mind prepared for ideas and suggestions and support you will be asking from them.
    Thank you

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Enyam .
    In truth its all about striking the balance

1 Reply
  • @KOPJ said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@Enyam said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

I think meeting with the donor for the first time would be a difficult part and moving the discussion to the transition part would also be a difficult part to do.
    Thank you

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Enyam .

I would say definitely, I have gained a lot of skills and fun in fundraising from the course. My confidence and awareness have been raised and now it gonna be a real business I'm afraid. Thank you.

• I think that it is still difficult to ask people for donation. Furthermore you have to meet a lot of people and remember who they are and what they do and you have to learn to listen to them and to their stories instead of talking all the time about your organization although you would like to talk about it.

• 1: A donor's rejection of my organisation's request can cause the most anxiety. It can be discouraging.

2: Going forward, i plan to use the preparation skills learnt to ensure i genuinely connect with potential donors. And even if their response is "no", i choose to still see a possible yes in future, or even useful advise or referrals can come out of such "no''.

• I agree, prior preparation/research is important.

• Course Facilitator

Thank you

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @Enyam.

• I get very nervous when asking somebody for money, but with some practice and putting what I have learned into practice it should reduce my anxiety.
    By doing more research on possible donors and using the information in my request for funds will definitely make fundraising easier.

My most difficult area is the asking and sometimes when you are rejected

I to be persistent and not discourage when rejected I have to thank the fonder and call for his advice

3: I would do a survey of my fonder and the area of interest after that I would the aim and objective of my organisation and what the fonder has done in this particular interest. And plainly and boldly place the stipulated amount for the project . Thanking them at the end. If they refuse I will still continue to press on and if the continue I would write them a letter of thank you again.

The asking is the problem and when you are rejected by people but don't loose hope to come back and ask for their advice

S
    1 Reply
  • @Sabreena said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@MohammadSahabuddin said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

Thanks for sharing about your most anxious and challenging moments when fundraising @MohammadSahabuddin. It was my answers as well and i believe we can share vies regarding this courLearnt

I liked the different views I believe we are learning

• The most challenging work is to talk with my donor with confidence. If you lose it you lose a donor

S
    1 Reply
    1. For me, the most anxious part of fundraising is knowing fully well that after a well prepared and delivered speech, the success of the programme fully depends on the philanthropic personality of donors and sometimes when an oral promise has been made, one can really not bank on it or do anything should the donor decide not to follow through.

2. With the new insight and knowledge gathered from this course, i palm on approach the job of fundraising with the mindset of WE WIN SOME AND LOOSE SOME, BUT WE ALWAYS GIVE OUR BEST EACH AND EVERY TIME! I believe this will help me deal better with both disappointments and victories.

• @adnanfidvi said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most challenging work is to talk with my donor with confidence. If you lose it you lose a donor

Hi Adnanfidvi,
    You are right, we must ensure we are in possession of he donors rapt attention from start to finish of the conversation.

S
    1 Reply
  • @Showpiece said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@adnanfidvi said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The most challenging work is to talk with my donor with confidence. If you lose it you lose a donor

Hi Adnanfidvi,
    You are right, we must ensure we are in possession of he donors rapt attention from start to finish of the conversation.

• @fodays961 said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@Shooren said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

The asking is the problem and when you are rejected by people but don't loose hope to come back and ask for their advice

Hmm, 'making myself presentable to be rejected'
    This here is huge and deep but very true, hope for the best while being prepared that the worst could also happen. thanks for this

• @Matata said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

@isanyaya said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

My anxious time for fundraising is face to face ask, I supplement thia with phone calls, emailing, text messages etc.

Hahaha hallo isanya,
    I like your approach because i basically use the same.

I get this, i really get uncomfortable asking others for money. the reason you gave here will definately help me do better. thank you

• asking for funds is the most emotional tasking job for me really, trying to convince people to give me their money.

i would really try to overcome the discomfort i feel when i ask people for money, if i really want to become an effective and efficient fundraiser moving forward.

S
    1 Reply
  • 1.The most challenging aspect of fundraising is the ASK itself because it just does not feel ok for me to ask people for things.

1. Haven learnt to take it in stages and to also make the donor more important in the conversation, i will ease slowly into the ask.
    S
    1 Reply
  • @Starlex said in Module 2 Discussion: Making the Ask, Thanking the Donor, Reducing Anxiety:

asking for funds is the most emotional tasking job for me really, trying to convince people to give me their money.

i would really try to overcome the discomfort i feel when i ask people for money, if i really want to become an effective and efficient fundraiser moving forward.

Nice, that's a good one.

• with the kind of insight received from this module i am sure fund raising will become a lot more easier. Getting to the point of asking and eventually asking will also be easier to approach

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.