Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Weekly Welcome: Philippines – 15 OCT 2018

Hello all! ( @all )

Let's continue our weekly tradition of welcoming new members here :)

Welcome new members! We hope that you will use this community as a unique place to connect with others from around the country who are doing great work. This is a great place to collaborate and discuss important questions and ideas. Please reply to this thread and tell us:

1: What is the issue you are most passionate about addressing and why?

2: What is the biggest issue you think is facing the country today?

3: Anything else you would like to tell us :)

Returning members: please welcome our new members by replying to their posts and engaging with them in discussions! Let's make sure everyone feels welcome and let's collaborate.

Welcome everyone! So great to have you here!

B
    1 Reply
  • 5 Replies
  • @mark_g said in Weekly Welcome: Philippines – 15 OCT 2018:

Hello all! ( @all )

Let's continue our weekly tradition of welcoming new members here :)

Welcome new members! We hope that you will use this community as a unique place to connect with others from around the country who are doing great work. This is a great place to collaborate and discuss important questions and ideas. Please reply to this thread and tell us:

1: What is the issue you are most passionate about addressing and why?

2: What is the biggest issue you think is facing the country today?

3: Anything else you would like to tell us :)

Returning members: please welcome our new members by replying to their posts and engaging with them in discussions! Let's make sure everyone feels welcome and let's collaborate.

Welcome everyone! So great to have you here!

Hi!

I would like to apology for my late response.

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I enroll to this course because I believe it will help me to do more my passion and enhance my ideas on addressing to help the less fortunate
    people especially who don't shelter (street people) and also addressing to give hope to a person who is depressed, needs attention and the right love.
    Here in my country, Philippines, mostly in rural areas there is a large number of street people, most of them are street children who doesn't have
    shelter and don't have food to eat, they beg in different people but then they still don't have the a amount to buy a food and I am still hoping that our government has plans to help these people. Next is, some of young people here in our country are experiencing depression that leads death, some because of mental health, some of them are lack of hope in life.

Right now I am looking forward that there is still hope and there is a good change for these people and to believe in themselves as well. I believe that in every course that I will enroll to this university will also help me to do the step by step in helping other people and will also help me achieve my dream to put up an orphanage or a charity organization.

Thank you.

Blessy Romero

1 Reply
  • @blessy said in Weekly Welcome: Philippines – 15 OCT 2018:

Hi!

I would like to apology for my late response.

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I enroll to this course because I believe it will help me to do more my passion and enhance my ideas on addressing to help the less fortunate
    people especially who don't shelter (street people) and also addressing to give hope to a person who is depressed, needs attention and the right love.
    Here in my country, Philippines, mostly in rural areas there is a large number of street people, most of them are street children who doesn't have
    shelter and don't have food to eat, they beg in different people but then they still don't have the a amount to buy a food and I am still hoping that our government has plans to help these people. Next is, some of young people here in our country are experiencing depression that leads death, some because of mental health, some of them are lack of hope in life.

Right now I am looking forward that there is still hope and there is a good change for these people and to believe in themselves as well. I believe that in every course that I will enroll to this university will also help me to do the step by step in helping other people and will also help me achieve my dream to put up an orphanage or a charity organization.

Thank you.

Blessy Romero

Hello Blessy ( @Blessy ), thank you for posting!

It is inspiring to hear your passion for serving the less fortunate in your community and your desire to start an orphanage or a charity.

What sort of work do you do now? What courses do you plan to take? It would be great to hear more about your goals and vision!

Welcome again :)

• Hi everyone! My name is Kristoff. I'm on my final stretch of college. I'll be graduating soon this December with a bachelor's degree in literature (yay more sleep!). It has become my dream to work for an NGO; to serve the underprivileged people especially the youth who have been wronged, abused, and whose dignity and innocence have been robbed from them. I don't know how I became so suddenly passionate about this but I think my course--through the people I met and the books I've read--opened my eyes to the actual world. I became more socially aware and involve especially with what is happening in our country right now. I think one of the greatest problems we are facing right now that needs to be addressed is the lack of quality education. Students lack the ability to think critically because everything is shove to them at face value while there are other teachers that lack the necessary training and the right attitude to hone their abilities. Literature is being put aside because of it's "impracticality" and "unmarketability." Thus, it is that I believe through literature we can empower and liberate the youth so they can do the same to others, as it did to me.

However, I am still practically new on the inner workings of an NGO. The same reason why I enrolled here. To grow my knowledge, skills and experiences. Even, I'm planning to take up a masteral course on community development or whatnot. But I don't know. I'm still actually torn. The other side of me, the creative side, wants to continue on the career path that led me to my course. Anyway, I think I have said enough. Thank you for this opportunity. I hope to meet all of you and learn from everyone here! Salute to you all for wanting to create impact and change!

1 Reply
  • @kreextoff said in Weekly Welcome: Philippines – 15 OCT 2018:

Hi everyone! My name is Kristoff. I'm on my final stretch of college. I'll be graduating soon this December with a bachelor's degree in literature (yay more sleep!). It has become my dream to work for an NGO; to serve the underprivileged people especially the youth who have been wronged, abused, and whose dignity and innocence have been robbed from them. I don't know how I became so suddenly passionate about this but I think my course--through the people I met and the books I've read--opened my eyes to the actual world. I became more socially aware and involve especially with what is happening in our country right now. I think one of the greatest problems we are facing right now that needs to be addressed is the lack of quality education. Students lack the ability to think critically because everything is shove to them at face value while there are other teachers that lack the necessary training and the right attitude to hone their abilities. Literature is being put aside because of it's "impracticality" and "unmarketability." Thus, it is that I believe through literature we can empower and liberate the youth so they can do the same to others, as it did to me.

However, I am still practically new on the inner workings of an NGO. The same reason why I enrolled here. To grow my knowledge, skills and experiences. Even, I'm planning to take up a masteral course on community development or whatnot. But I don't know. I'm still actually torn. The other side of me, the creative side, wants to continue on the career path that led me to my course. Anyway, I think I have said enough. Thank you for this opportunity. I hope to meet all of you and learn from everyone here! Salute to you all for wanting to create impact and change!

Thank you @kreextoff for sharing your story and for posting in this Community. It is so great to have you here and to learn about your background!

@All, do others have any advice for @kreextoff or any thoughts to share in response to his post?

• hello everyone.
    I am glad to know that we have a Philippine community. I am Sylvia and I work in a cooperative providing micro insurance coverage to cooperatives and their members all over the Philippines. Microinsurance is much like the traditional insurance that are provided by big insurance company. Microinsurance products however are small packages and the premium is affordable to materially poor members of the cooperatives and the community. I became passionate about insurance and micro insurance in particular, when in 2008 we were stricken by typhoon Frank. The strongest and the worst typhoon so far that hit our province. All our properties (house, car, appliances) that we build for the last 25 years, in 2 hours we lost everything. Me and my husband are both employed and we do not have enough savings. We had to avail of whatever loan available to us to rehabilitate our house and buy new things. It took us about a year to fully rehabilitate our properties. This difficult situation made me think about how can the poor cope with devastating event like this? How can they recover? If we who are both working, have difficulty recovering what about those that have no permanent jobs? Where can they get a loan to for their rehabilitation needs? The answer came when I was invited to join an insurance cooperative and learn about insurance. I accepted the work and what was good is that the company sells micro insurance, insurance products designed for the poor. since then, I have devoted my time advocating micro insurance. My ultimate dream is to see women as micro insurance advocates since women are the first to suffer the difficulties when the family is in a difficult situation. This is the reason why I enrolled in Advocacy class because I hope to develop advocacy messages for women micro insurance advocates. I hope I can generate support for this advocacy.from our community. Thank you.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.