Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 2: Discussion

In Module 2, you learned how to identify the needs and interests of your beneficiaries. The reading in this module encouraged you to envision a world in which the problem you are addressing is solved.

In a discussion post below, please describe this ideal world in which the problem you are addressing is solved. What would it look like?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

J
    P
    A
    E
    M
    19 Replies
  • 326 Replies
  • It's a popular saying that "the eye is the window of the body"
    Tackling visual impairment is important to me and my organization because we envision a world where the percentage of preventable and avoidable blindness especially in children is reduced.
    Knowing that early detection is the best form of management, we want to ensure that visual impairment is detected as early as pre school years and managed appropriately.
    A world where every child from a very tender age has access to regular visual and ocular examination to rule out vision threatening disease that could affect standard of living and limit chances of getting standard education.
    Where visually challenged children benefit from visual aids that aids cognitive learning.
    Where learning is fun for both children and teachers.

E
    N
    J
    A
    A
    5 Replies
  • I see a world where teenagers are living an extraordinary life and doing exploits.
    A world where they do not think that the future is far but live a day at a time Purposefully and intentionally.
    A world where adults are challenged with the emergence of Young and Brave Champions.

E
    J
    A
    E
    K
    9 Replies
  • If we managed to solve the problem I listed in my problem statement, all or most of our students would excel at their End of Primary Standard Exam, having acquired the academic level they require to get into a good secondary school while also having developed an inquisitive mind, thirsty of learning, and knowing how to use their creativity for everyday problem solving. In secondary school or high school they would continue to acquire more knowledge, both academically as well as hands on skills through an elected vocational training program, which would open their choices for their future opportunities.

K
    C
    L
    C
    4 Replies
  • This is a fantastic goal. I would also consider improving the nutrition for children as lack of essential minerals and vitamins also can impair their sight. In our area of work , in rural Uganda, we have to give children a supplement of Vitamin A which is lacking from their usual meals.

J
    S
    R
    3 Replies
  • This would definitely be a beautiful world. Teenagers need to acquire entrepreneurial skills so they can depend on themselves and be job creators instead of having to always depend on others.

J
    S
    E
    D
    M
    5 Replies
  • The quality of education is low in South Sudan and there are few qualified and trained professional teachers so provision of training to the teachers and giving teachers incentives will drastically improve the quality of education

A
    K
    J
    C
    H
    7 Replies
  • Yes, providing training or up skilling the teachers is a good thing. Increasing incentives for them is another strategy.
    For the few teachers, how can you ensure increasing their numbers? And perhaps ensure the retention capacity is high.
    Sometimes, incentives alone do not motivate teachers to stay, several other factors which may directly or indirectly affect them should also be looked into

T
    1 Reply
  • Rapid and aggressive HIV testing and referral to infected persons is required for every households to combat the increasing number of transmission in developing countries. This will ensure that there is reduction in mortality rate among children. Moreover, being an orphan or born to vulnerable parents should not deny everyone of basic necessities of life such as basic academic/vocational training, birth registration and shelter. Working policies and monitoring the implementation of this policies must be ensured.

• This is not only limited to south sudan, it is a global problem. Even in the developed countries where necessary training is achieved, motivation is lacking. There is a need to motivate teachers which goes beyond just providing incentives. They should be more appreciated.

• This problem is beyond the scope of just the educators because i believe that presently parents have not been playing their roles efficiently leaving all to the educators forgetting that they ought to be the first teachers to develop these instincts.

Y
    Y
    S
    4 Replies
  • For me, women and children are vital component of the success in any society. If they are well taken care of, it will be a society free of any disease and full of prosperity as the women will safely be delivering the children who will be the future of our the next coming generation.

A
    1 Reply
  • Yes I agree with your submission. But sometimes you need to also be mindful of the kind of exposure and experience that could have made them to behave in such manner

• I had learned how to get full understanding of our beneficiaries and their needs. It is by interview, observation and research. To see their view, I wear their shoes not only with collaboration with others organization but also with learning their failure and success. If we cannot make this stage carefully, we may like giving our beneficiaries wrong medicine for wrong disease. Thank you for all comments for getting wild understanding.

• Yes I agree with your submission. But sometimes you need to also be mindful of the kind of exposure and expereince that could have made them to behave in such manner

M
    1 Reply
  • An ideal world will not have gender based violence to either women or children. Men, who are often the main actors of this vile act, would be brought up with the learned ability to deal with life's frustrations in a healthy manner. All people will have basic respect , as well as reasonable decent behaviour towards one another ,and justly interact in society. There would also be no pay gap between genders.

• I agree with your statement. In the sphere of gender based violence , there are many underlying factors that contribute to such vile acts and behaviour. Therefore, despite being certain that through research I have found the most important causes of GBV, many cases remain subjective.

• There is so much beauty in this initiative, being part of an organization that strive and facilitate day to day solutions to learners with disabilities, we accommodate learners with visual impairment and working with them gives us so much meaning and hope for the future on how innovative solutions can be made available for learners with this form of impairment. At Tulonga Foundation we do not put so much focus on our beneficiaries abilities, but by the goodness and dignity of their lives in our communities.

• I envisage a Nigeria where our young ones especially boys are actively engaged, groomed to redirect their knowledge and energy to problem solving and financially rewarded so that fraud doesn't become an alternative, a society where they are confident in their abilities and choices to be optimistic about what the future holds, ability to handle and fight back pressure from parents or friends trying to talk them into get rich quick syndromes and antics. I believe that we can achieve this if the problem I stated is solved.

• Every child has the right to grow up in a safe and inclusive environment. I envision a world where every child, including those affected by conflict, natural disasters, and other emergencies, has equal rights to grow up in a safe and inclusive environment to realize her/his potential from early childhood through adolescence.

W
    1 Reply
  • If the problem of low performance of Regional Referral Hospitals is solved, the hospitals will provide quality services according to their scope. Community will receive services at their Regions timely, hence reducing morbidity and mortality and treatment costs. Inaddition, the prognosis will be good.
    The Zonal, Specialized and National Hospitals will concentrate more into super specialized services, hence reducing number of referral outside the country.
    Health status of the community will be improved, hence contributing into improved economy of the country.

• Congratulations. May you make more explorations to beneficiairies especially on the issue of incentive. This is because every person can define incentive differently.

• Ok. It is a good idea.

• In a working/ ideal world, experts in various field agree to come to seminars and educate these secondary school leavers on their particular career interests and leave them inspired. We are able to raise sufficient funds to sponsor few scholarships for top performing students, and independent donors also support our cause.

• all said and done, i envision a future where each and every young person will be able to be economically relevant and be able to cope with tertiary level education with easy. however, this will demand involving other beneficiaries (or stakeholders) like families, communities and the Ministry of General/Higher Education...
    The above of course will involve massive and complete empowerment of young people so that they in the long run, become economically productive and add to the development of the whole country...

• that's insightfull. in fact, among the many goals which are part of the United Nations agenda for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is one (1) which is aimed at ‘Ensuring inclusive and equitable education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all potential’ (UN, 2014).

• many actually say that 'young people are the leaders of tomorrow'.

• this will go along way in reducing issues of malnutrition and under nourishment among children

• very true. the start of independence is the start of personal responsibility

E
    1 Reply
  • teachers are actally the backbone of every economy. they on a daily basis shape young and upcoming global leaders

G
    1 Reply
  • The main point that I wrote in my problem statement is about lack of legal status amongst ethnic people in Thailand. If this can be solved as thought, they will be able to access to government services including but not limited to health and education. In addition, they will able to work legally and safely with fair income.

D
    1 Reply
  • This is so true and I totally agree with it.

• Agree. Thanks for sharing this.

• I see a country where all children have access to same quality if education from infants to young adults. And in these place each is a conscious citizen that entangled himself or herself in the fair's of life. And endows his or her life to make a willfully and positive contribution to its surroundings and community.

N
    1 Reply
  • The issue of unemployment spearheads many other problems in African such as insecurity, poverty, high mortality, high crime rate etc. I strongly believe that the problem of high rate of unemployment and insecurity can be effectively addressed through youth empowerment and skills acquisition and training, which enables beneficiaries to create job and wealth to improve socioeconomic status of the community.

D
    1 Reply
  • you are right, This is the same thing i have observed here

• In an ideal world where my problem is solved, families in rural Appalachia have access to the same quality-of-life necessities and amenities that their peers throughout the United States can access. In particular, they will have access to secure housing, food, and robust educational opportunities.

A
    1 Reply
  • Another important component to training teachers is providing standardized measurements for what teacher education programs should teach, and how many hours of training students should undertake before being licensed.

• COVID 19 has undoubtedly become a serious threat to mankind and our way of life as we know it. It has plunged the world into a crisis that has never been seen before. Healthcare systems are overwhelmed and economies are collapsing. While there are vaccines that may help prevent the spread of COVID 19 there is not enough available for those who need it the most. Also the vaccine is not 100% effective and needs time to work. There are also those who do not trust the vaccine given it was produced in such a short time. We have seen that in some places like New Zealand and Wuhan China the authorities managed to stop the transmission and prevent the spread of COVID 19 by avoiding unnecessary gatherings and travel and by wearing masks and sanitizing public places regularly. While life wasn’t perfect before COVID 19, we were much better off. We will be able to visit loved ones whenever we feel like. We can take a vacation and travel whenever we want. We will not have to wear masks which can be very uncomfortable and a serious barrier to communication. COVID 19 came and taught us that we should value the simple things; the things we took for granted. Now that we have learned that valuable lesson, if COVID 19 was to disappear we would go back to the life that we knew before, albeit with a more gracious and thankful mindset.

• Incentives should also be linked to the performance of the students as you run the risk of rewarding teachers who do not place much emphasis into the performance of their students.

• This world where homelessness is no longer a problem would be one where everyone has access to all resources. There would be communities that assist those that may be homeless in finding a job and getting basic supplies such as toiletries and food. This world would be one where we all come together as a community to lift one another up and help everyone succeed.

• If only teachers would be recognized financially for shaping the future of America!

D
    1 Reply
  • Education for rural poor. Most children in rural communities especially those from poor homes often find themselves in schools that do not provide anything near to quality education. The lack of local Government funding to provide qualified, adequate infrastructure and resources to help teaching and learning impact the performance of these kids this where my problem statement is centered on

• Right environment for our rural setting is the key to better performance and later on having great leaders in our community, once the rural has better ambiance, many things will change, for example we shall have economic development, lower mortality rates, etc. and this will be achieve through providing Solar light for our rural communities which will help the students to study in a better environment, maternity clinics to have enough light when delivering children etc.

• That's very true, many remote schools are neglected and left for the poor in the community, this has affected performances, its time for governments to take up responsibilities in supporting this schools. Very power dear

• I see the world that everyone to have access to equitable justice. And for this problem the Justices institutions need for be established and developed to address and element gaps that diminish equitable justice overall.

• Realistic problem statement.

• It is important to identify the needs and interests of our beneficiaries for organizations. So they can implement the plan well.

• The ideal world is where everyone lives above the poverty line. Where young adults are equipped with sufficient skills to become entrepreneurs if they so desire and be in a position to support themselves financially and contribute towards economic development.

L
    1 Reply
  • I agree, also putting in account that financial reward is only part of the recognition due.

• A world free from domestic violence

• This statement is true, but the youth needs to do the needful, if not its an assumption that they can make it. They equally need to work hard.

• I see a world where government is censoring trade activities preventing potential entrepreneurs from investing.

• If a drastic approach is taken to solve problem of restricted trade I see a world in which state economies will flourish

L
    1 Reply
  • The world will not attain it fullest goal if a freer future is not achieve

• When I envision a world where parents/guardians attend school meetings and work collaboratively with school staff I see students valuing education, confidently approaching learning and realizing their true potential resulting in engaged young people who positively contribute to the local and global community.

• RE: The ideal world is where everyone lives above the poverty line. Where young adults are equipped with sufficient skills to become entrepreneurs if they so desire and be in a position to support themselves financially and contribute towards economic development.

Yes, we need our young adults to be as creative as they can. I would just amend the first sentence - in my ideal world there would be no poverty, therefore, no need for a poverty line.

L
    1 Reply
  • In my ideal world Day Care Settings would provide an environment in which all children birth to 5 years are valued, listened to, encouraged, stimulated and supported. Staff in these Day Care Settings would be trained and supported to provide best practice to the children in their care. Parents would be informed about the stages of development in child care and the importance of play in the early years of a child's life. The community would be supportive by providing funds, educational opportunities and support to assist in the ongoing training of the staff in Day Care Settings. An organization would be set up to advocate for and assist in the updating of laws for Day Care Settings to reflect best practice and advise the government on new research on the science of Early Childhood Education.

• @ThaoTran said in Module 2: Discussion:

In Module 2, you learned how to identify the needs and interests of your beneficiaries. The reading in this module encouraged you to envision a world in which the problem you are addressing is solved.

In a discussion post below, please describe this ideal world in which the problem you are addressing is solved. What would it look like?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

@tagenarine2 said in Module 2: Discussion:

Incentives should also be linked to the performance of the students as you run the risk of rewarding teachers who do not place much emphasis into the performance of their students.

@tagenarine2 said in Module 2: Discussion:

Incentives should also be linked to the performance of the students as you run the risk of rewarding teachers who do not place much emphasis into the performance of their students.

@ThaoTran said in Module 2: Discussion:

The prime focus of my project is to alleviate the burden of diarrhea and other watsan-related diseases in my community of interest. The ideal world in which the problem I am addressing refers to the affected communities ( beneficiaries). Addressing their needs and interest means that the high prevalence of diarrheal disease will be curbed down thereby promoting healthy and happy lives for the beneficiaries (a world in which the problem I am addressing is solved).

• Incentives are more effective if they have an association with students' performance. Such association will motivate teachers to focus on methodologies that will adequately improve the skills of their students. If teachers are aware that student performance outcomes are significantly associated with their incentives, they will be more productive.

M
    1 Reply
  • Creating pathways for more equitable access and support is a great way to shape a perfect world.

• In an ideal world, local residents and groups would have an easily accessible platform to raise awareness, enlist support and attract funding for early stage ideas, enabling them to achieve social change that would improve their communities in tangible ways.

• I believe students need to be given a wide range of career options, including funding for students who work with their hands whether it be a tradesperson, artist, or musician. Teach students to find a career that they will love to do and not go for it for the monetary reward. If you love what you do everyday, the rewards are expansive.

K
    1 Reply
  • A world free from hunger and where all people have sufficient access to shelter and clothing

• Is this not more like a statement? what is it that you like to see once your problem is resolved?

• Teenagers are an interesting group to engage and work on behalf of. We need their insight to best engage them, however there are also things they do not know, like how their brain works, therefore there is the need to both engage, inform and then reengage.

• I am in agreement with your post but would add the component of including business involvement in the secondary school mentoring and education. Having input from business professionals in the field of study high school students are interested in pursuing careers is valuable and inspiring for the students. Educators or parents cannot be expected to be well versed in all career pathways.

• Improved technical education to meet the needs of our community and provide appropriate tech education for our students to success globally in a very demanding industry.

1 Reply
  • In an ideal world, my Education Trust would not be necessary. Any young person who wanted to complete their high school diploma/GED equivalent or pursue higher education, trade certification or professional development opportunities would be able to do so - because funds would be equitably shared, covering a range of grade point averages (and not just top tier) and without the requirement of volunteerism/extracurricular participation. Entities providing education funding would recognise that 1) school performance is NOT an indicator of future potential 2) not everyone has the luxury of time or financial resources to volunteer and/or participate in extracurricular activities 3) providing equitable access to further education and training opportunities will create a much stronger future workforce and be a major part of addressing the socio-economic challenges that come from having too large a population who are unable to participate equitably in their own economy.

• I agree with your post and would add that a critical piece of this is the provision of EQUITABLE funding opprotunities. Bermuda has millions of dollars in education funding available each year - the vast majority targeting students with the highest grade point averages, a laundry list of volunteering and extra-curricular activities and exclude the vast majority of student in Bermuda (and in particular public school students). Having pathways to trade certifications and creative/performing art pathways is great... but until there are equitable funding opportunities in place, the ability to see the outcomes of the pathways will be hamstrung.

• People can still be successful in the society much as there are diseases in the society since not all women and children will be affected

• In my ideal world - Bermuda would have Dementia friendly 'village' where families could either take or drop off their person with dementia (PWD) to access a variety of arts and craft; music; animal petting; sensory activities. There would be a movie theatre constantly showing old movies; a village 'shop' to create real experiences and a recreational area for exercise and games - all staffed with person centred staff and designed to provide a dignified, fun and safe environment for PWD and their families.
    Inter-generational interaction with PWD and their families would be encouraged (from toddlers up to post secondary school) and educational opportunities for young people to study and enter the Dementia space would be available to build resources for future care.
    Educational, awareness and fundraising events would be held to keep the wider community informed.

• The ideal world where my problem has been solved; is where the Library has all the resources it needs to serve the staff, library patrons and the public. The library would offer both in location and virtual services. Ideally there would be one library that would house the Youth and Adult divisions.

• Youths engaging in rural agriculture in Nigeria are faced with lots of challenges to include lack of access to; inputs, finance and insurance, knowledge, education and information, technology and right markets for products at the right time.
    Solving this problem will reduce poverty, create more opportunities for them and guarantee livelihood sustainability in line with SDGs 1, 2, 5 & 8.

• The problem that I mentioned was "Food insecurity causing morbidity and mortality in children, old age, pregnant and lactated women in village Chengai,
    Because the village faced war on terror, where the village whole infrastructure dismantled, people become homeless for quite one decade, lost jobs, businesses, agriculture sector was badly affected, and almost all the earning sources were halted down.
    This has caused sever drought, food insecurity, and the vulnerable folk especially disables, old age, children and pregnant/lactated women were seriously affected.

• Technical education plays pivotal role in the job creation and sustainability, food security etc. I agree with you.

D
    1 Reply
  • In the ideal world there would be no litter, with receptacles in ideal spots so people could choose to get rid of their rubbish responsibly. Neighbourhoods would have flowers and trees and not be fouled by illegal dumping and lack of responsibility for rubbish. Individuals would not only take responsibility for their neighbourhoods and their own rubbish, but they would choose to make choices that meant rubbish was reduced. This ideal world would be supportive of individuals who needed help and would educate their children as to why it matters to care about your home, your space, your school and your neighbourhood and ensure they are litter free.

• In the ideal world there would be no litter, with receptacles in ideal spots so people could choose to get rid of their rubbish responsibly. Neighbourhoods would have flowers and trees and not be fouled by illegal dumping and lack of responsibility for rubbish. Individuals would not only take responsibility for their neighbourhoods and their own rubbish, but they would choose to make choices that meant rubbish was reduced. This ideal world would be supportive of individuals who needed help and would educate their children as to why it matters to care about your home, your space, your school and your neighbourhood and ensure they are litter free.

R
    1 Reply

• I would love a world where teenagers were productive. I watch as so many teenagers struggle to figure out how to navigate the world.

1 Reply
  • In an ideal world there would be no litter and everyone would live in a litter free, graffiti free neighbourhood with art, trees and flowers. A place where children are safe and people are proud of where they live. They take care of their environment and they take care of each other.

• This is a wonderful ideal. As not all learners want to go into the world of business, I think it is great that vocational skills are being highlighted. This allows for differences in learning and many paths to success.

• In my ideal world, people would be able to get free, confidential mental health services from qualified professionals. Whether it is in-person or via video/chat options, it would allow people to have the opportunity to discuss issues, build self-care skills and work through generational traumas.

• This is a wonderful ideal. As not all learners want to go into the world of business, I think it is great that vocational skills are being highlighted. This allows for differences in learning and many paths to success.

• This would be an ideal world! Many young people lack drive to figure out their skills and how they can use them to thrive. Understanding their methods of productivity is also important so that we can build from that.

• This would be an ideal world! Many young people lack drive to figure out their skills and how they can use them to thrive. Understanding their methods of productivity is also important so that we can build from that.

• In an ideal world, it would be free to enroll in degree programs at a quality, well-equipped College facility, for all regardless of financial status.

D
    1 Reply
  • I see a world where uses of heritage matter deeply to people's everyday and modern lives.

• I envisage an ideal world where high school students do not have to face challenges in the field of Mathematics education, where all the necessary provisions such as teaching aids, instructional materials etc. required to eradicate these challenges can be easily accessed

M
    1 Reply
  • Yes
    Regardless of financial status
    A world where we would not have to go through heartaches in the process of trying to survive

• In KIbale communities, that was in the recent past riddled with diseases ssociated witb poor hygiene; like dysentery, bilharzia, now is disease-free. Households now have well maintained latrines. After sensitizing households, and intervention of building boreholes to supply clean water, the people no longer suffer from water-borne diseases. Children are now healthy regularly attend school. Most of the P7 candidates now have big dreams of becoming professionals in future because they live healthy lives.

• I agree; with the right needs-tailored materials, Maths would not be such a scary subject. If also, the instructors devised more effective methods of instruction especially for the slower learners.

• I envisioned a society were orphan children have access to quality education with adequate financial resources, qualified and trained teachers and opportunities for career guidance and learning other life skills.

O
    1 Reply
  • Indeed imparting entrepreneurial skills can enable youth will ensure their financial sustainability. Further, it can make them a pore productive part of the labor market thus contributing to the overall economy of the country.

• The ideal world where my problem has been solved; is where the Library has all the resources it needs to serve the staff, library patrons and the public. The library would offer both in location and virtual services. Ideally there would be one library that would house the Youth and Adult divisions.

C
    O
    3 Replies
  • In this perfect world, Victims would have immediately accessible support by highly trained staff dispatched to their location by police and other service providers who are familiar with the services and their benefits. The staff would support the clients with immediate access to funding programs, and referrals for all supports that the clients would benefit from and are receptive to.

• where would it be located in order to geographically serve the most people? or would there be multiple branches in various communities?

• I envision a world where wrongfully conviction just doesn't take place. For those who are convicted to be have just trials. I envision a world where the wrongfully convicted individuals and their families will receive assistance to help in coping with the trauma that has taken place. Yes, there are case workers but there will be a special force specific to these cases.

C
    2 Replies
  • Our problem statement is to help the poorest people in the world so they can start earning enough money where they can live comfortably. The most poor people (both educated and uneducated) can be helped by being connected to successful individuals with similar backgrounds who become their coach and help them achieve the skills and training necessary so they can start earning money e.g. freelancing, remote jobs, skilled labor. Our organization WeVersity.org goal is to spread this concept throughout the world and assist as many under-privileged people in the world as possible.

1 Reply
  • good observation

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.