Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 2 Discussion: Types of Support

In Module 2, you learned about different types of support that can help an organization succeed in its fundraising goals. In particular, you learned about restricted versus unrestricted support.

In a discussion post below, please respond to the following questions:

1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
    2: How could this help build your organization’s capacity?

And if you are not currently working at an organization, just imagine that you are!

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

E
    F
    C
    D
    D
    43 Replies
  • 582 Replies
  • The one way to increase your the unrestricted funds for my organisation would by collecting membership. The funds collected from membership can be used for capacity development of the staff.

J
    E
    J
    I
    H
    21 Replies
  • I think the team is chasing and wasting time on grants that we don't qualify for. The fundraisers need to be small community fundraisers, and they need to implement community, The mission is flawed

L
    L
    V
    P
    4 Replies
  • Focusing on soliciting towards the end of the year when private donors have a clearer picture of the giving they'd like to do for tax deductions and perhaps aligning this with a high profile event to offer increased exposure. The funds raised could help support future outreach events and drive awareness for additional donors/ volunteers.

K
    P
    M
    S
    J
    7 Replies
  • I think this is a great idea, so long as the membership benefits don't cancel out the funds membership raises for you.

F
    1 Reply
  • I think to boost your unrestricted gifts is through friends of friends, or of the donor.

S
    T
    3 Replies
  • This is a awesomeprogram.

• One way my organization can increase funding is membership dues and levies.

L
    J
    3 Replies
  • this is a good way

S
    1 Reply
  • The one way i can increase our organizational fundraising for unrestricted funds is through organizing fundraising events such as Diners and fund-drive activities.

K
    Y
    I
    C
    S
    5 Replies
  • I thought it is governement which charges levies, kindly expound what kind of levies.

• The one way I can think of to increase my organization’s amount of unrestricted funding is the use of membership contribution and the public fundraising forums as this will help the organization meet its other programs like the payment of employees

G
    M
    Y
    3 Replies
  • this is nice. how will it then improve the organization work

• I can increase my organization's unrestricted funds by organizing events like dinners, and sports competition like golf

F
    1 Reply
  • That true I will like to do the same

• creating videos, organising events, drama, etc

F
    1 Reply
  • One why that I think can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about their support to your organization base on specific donation, because you specify the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.
    Secondly, another why my organization can increase their unrestricted funds is my organizing fundraising events and funds raised form this evey will be used under unrestricted funds like paying bills, paying staff and more.
    Fundraising events help to boast the my organization financial strength and help not to involve in the restricted funds that the foundation have.

• One why that I think can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about their support to your organization base on specific donation, because you specify the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.
    Secondly, another why my organization can increase their unrestricted funds is my organizing fundraising events and funds raised form this evey will be used under unrestricted funds like paying bills, paying staff and more.
    Fundraising events help to boast the my organization financial strength and help not to involve in the restricted funds that the foundation have.

W
    1 Reply

• OK that great idea

• Good initiative

• I think onw really good way to fundraise unrestricted money could be to marathon or open spaces activities like fairs people like those kind things they assure you people going and great time of course the planning is way complex than the basic idea but is start isnt it ?
    this also helps to the people to know more about your organization with really subtle messages about what, whwere and how we do the things on the organization

L
    1 Reply
  • Q1 What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?

Ans By adding a Disclaimer to our official policy on how funds are distributed in this manner: “Your gift will be used to fund our entire mission.”

Q2 How could this help build your organization’s capacity?

ANS It will help reassure our donors that we can be trusted with any amount of money sent to us.

A
    1 Reply
  • OK that's a great idea

• Once way to increase the amount of unrestricted gifts is by increasing the trust of the donors for our organization. If we focus more on building trust, we can be frank with them and let them know about why we need more unrestricted funding. Some of the donors who previously were contributing restricted gifts will switch to giving unrestricted gifts.

• @Osfabcas said in Module 2 Discussion: Types of Support:

I think onw really good way to fundraise unrestricted money could be to marathon or open spaces activities like fairs people like those kind things they assure you people going and great time of course the planning is way complex than the basic idea but is start isnt it ?
    this also helps to the people to know more about your organization with really subtle messages about what, whwere and how we do the things on the organization

Sounds good. Activities such as you describe would bring unrestricted gifts.

• It is essential to explore fundraisers through dinner and dance, spiced with some cool auction

• one way to increase my organization's unrestricted funding is to pursue a multi-faceted approach which will embrace memberships and organizing fundraising campaigns like dinners , sports events and marches by volunteers where they will be soliciting for donations from motorists on the highways

• @Ekene_Randolf said in Module 2 Discussion: Types of Support:

One way my organization can increase funding is membership dues and levies.

I agree with you that membership is a practical way of fundraising , what i am not sure of is the implementation of levies , i thought levies or say taxes are a prerogative of the government. Is it possible with NGO to impose levies other than looking for funding through solicitation for donations.

S
    1 Reply
    1. one of the ways i can think of in increasing my organization unrestricted gifts is through membership, and creating of fundraising events
  • indeed its one of the practical ways

• One typical way to increase my organization unrestricted gifts is to always leave a place in our communication for other funding purposes.

This will help a lot in building our capacity by getting more funds and been responsible and accountable for the funds we received

• The way to increase unrestricted gifts to my organisation is by increasing the number of subscriptions through open or voluntary membership to the organisation and partnering with organisation in the same line or related project as ours.

B
    1 Reply
  • I agree, membership is the primary source for unrestricted funding

• I would think of coming up with new programs rather than the normal one that would bring in more funds.

• This could help in building more projects that could even add in funds to keep the Foundation running

• Sure, I agree that leaving some space for more funding would increase more unrestricted funds

• Sure creating more events would increase unrestricted gifts

• By opening a businesses dedicated to raising funds for the organizations cause. This way ongoing unrestricted funds will be trickling in. This business could include a restaurant showcase local culinary skills from Chefs looking to make a name for themselves.

S
    1 Reply
  • Though membership is a very good form of raising unrestricted funds, one should remember from the course lessons that it is a very tricky one and needs financial expertise, in order to make sure that the cost benefits is in favour of the organization.

G
    P
    2 Replies
  • I could organize a bingo evening every year and ask 30$ income for the seat and use of the bingo and for the entertainment and I could set up separate billing for food and drinks. That way I will definitely have a higher net income than I'm giving, just like Tom suggested.
    On this charity evening people can donate in a box whatever they want to give and we disclose : '' for all activities that concern our organization such as helping raise money for finding better cancer treatments, preventing cancer by more accurate research and other activities that our organization concerns itself with.
    That way the money people put in the box will be an unrestricted gift.
    People will get the chance to fill out a form and register how much they gave. Obviously this will be verified. They get a receipt for taxes after they donated.

With the money I would invest in new infrastructure for my charity, put money aside for salaries as well as bills that have to be paid, put some money aside as a reserve for the organization for when cash flows are lower during the year, and the rest would be going to cancer research funding directly (program support).

R
    G
    2 Replies
  • One way my organization can raise funding is by targeting individual funds, by continually telling the stories of the GBV victims, through personalized news letters..: and personal calls....

• The best I gained from the lesson is the non event fund raising occasion, that makes donor just come and give their donation without waiting for any special ceremony or gift. once they arrives they give their donation and go.
    they can even give their donations online through a dedicated website.
    this reduced the amount of money spent on the ceremony that can swallow up a higher percentage of the donation collected
    This will generates more unrestricted donation that can be use for all purposes like running cost, pay bills, salaries and others which are not possible with restricted funds

A
    1 Reply
  • good one brief to point. needs a lot of strategies

• Hey!!!
    Well, I think that for small charities, it is important to have communication proceses in place to informe those individual donors about the impact achieved thanks to their gifts. Improving those aspects are key. Then, being flexible about the amounts that you can receive!!

His could help build the org's capacity in many ways: increasing transparency, accountability, Monitoring systems, financial reports, etc!!

• Hey!!!
    Well, I think that for small charities, it is important to have communication proceses in place to informe those individual donors about the impact achieved thanks to their gifts. Improving those aspects are key. Then, being flexible about the amounts that you can receive!!

His could help build the org's capacity in many ways: increasing transparency, accountability, Monitoring systems, financial reports, etc!!

• This one is very good! membership can take different modalities too. Just make sure to bare in mind your own capacities to run the programme in an organised way.

• totally agree!!

1. I would do membership subscription to increase the base of unrestricted funds. I can as well organise for events and invite prominent individuals.
    2. The above strategy would give me a competitive advantage and increased reserves
  • Wow. This is a great strategy. Well thought and can give awesome result.

• I was amazed at how many different types of support there are. I think the best for my organization would be unrestricted to allow us to pay teachers and staff.

• By connecting with many small and regular donors, this would enable us to meet our operating costs

• For our Artrageous Artreach, we can raise unrestricted funds through a tiered membership program for our virtual content. For the foundation we will be assisting a friend with, we plan to raise unrestricted funds through a fundraising event.

• I love the idea of having an informal event (like bingo) with the donation box. It helps gather like minded people and build a community around your cause. You're providing a service so they get something back. Thanks for the idea!

• Targeting small and ongoing fundraising activities and events will provide long-term financial health for the organization

A
    1 Reply
  • There are a few things important to raise the unrestricted funds such how much do we connect with the donor both professionally & emotionally and resonate with her belief, areas of interest, ideas, thoughts, initiatives. We should really be grateful to our donors/ angels and show immense gratitude towards the support they extend for our organisation. Building a good & long lasting relationship with the donor also plays an important role for raising small & ongoing funds. Since unrestricted funds can be used almost for all kinds of activities, we should e carefully manage and utilise them during the regular as well crisis situations.

M
    1 Reply
  • There are a lot of government schemes/ incentives available across different sectors that are being offered towards helping startups, MSMEs towards easing their doing business journey. We should really consider and keep applying to these schemes as well to meet the companies objectives and sustainable growth.

• This is true, but we also need to ensure that the cost of conducting these events should not exceed the amount of funding we aspire receive/ raise through these events.

• In fact, due to the pandemic times, these non-event strategies sound even more logical. Everything is going digital and fundraising strategies also need to witness the next digital revolution.

• To increase unrestricted funds could be adoption of peer networking for membership and partnership

1. The way I could think of increasing my organization amount of unrestricted gift is through fundraising events.
    2. It will help to build my organization capacity through: 1. Creating unrestricted money that will operate the activities run in the organization, 2. I will make the event to be Net income than Gross income that will provide the benefit to the organization.
    P
    2 Replies
  • I think one way of increasing unrestricted gifts can be raising funds from family and members of the organization. I think this can increase our organizational capacity in that we will have funds that can be used as needed.

• i think this is very brilliant

• I think a clearer distinction between smaller-individual unrestricted funds and the capacity to distinguish them from the larger, generally restricted donors and donations is crucial to design different strategies to fundraising. Also, given the importance that governments' donations display an important role in the Global South's organizations, I found the tips quite relevant too.

A
    1 Reply
  • I found the non-event approach quite thoughtful too, but we need to have in mind that very often, although we know that PR and fundraising isn't the same, the events provide more chances for continuity and to buid up a relationship with the donors in a more sustained basis.

• In my specific case of collecting donations to create infrastructure, and that these donations are unrestricted, I would continue to carry out more open activities such as prize draws such as "support for a cause." would implement a project of orchards or creation of handicrafts among the community and make sales or bazaars for tourists or visitors to the area, and trade between the locality,

• to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts it is good to start small and raise step by step from individual donors. 75% of unrestricted gift is usually found from individuals. after getting the gift it is good to utilize efficiently and effectively to build your organization’s capacity.

M
    1 Reply
  • 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
    Answer: Apply for grants

Answer: Differed Planning

• Designated funds or restricted funds can come from either individuals or corporate, don't you think one needs to establish the fact before initiating on the excise?

• of course, but some times income and expense may not be balanced.

• One way of securing unrestricted funds is to generally make a request from donors instead of soliciting for a particular purpose which the donor may not be interested in.Unrestricted funds helps the organization to grow because the funds can be used for almost everything

• I categorize and give priority to unrestricted fund as an organization is willing to use in all of their activities which is best part of it as decision lies in the hand of organization and also it is organization's responsibility to use it efficiently in effective manner.

• I think one of the unrestricted way for my organization is develop the social currency platform that can enhance the development of talents and volunteer management.

• Its a good way I think that realistic we can do

1. Hold small scale concerts/art events for upcoming local artists who could volunteer to expose/present their piece in this event and charge an affordable entry ticket. Minimise expenses by asking local vendors to contribute with food (increasing sales and visibility), engage volunteers/beneficiaries to assist with the running of the event in exchange of acquiring skills and experience. Choose a public location to minimise hiring costs (some councils allow the use of a dedicated space for free or a small fee). Or partner with an organisation that can host the event in exchange of visibility or a small percentage. Repeat this regularly could be monthly with a different theme.

2. It would allow the organisation to raise funds, allow volunteers and beneficiaries to gain something from the experience also just enjoying the event, allow the revaluation of art and upcoming cultures, big-up the local community also for opportunities of local tourism.

• Membership / ANnual Fund requests. And showing the DATA that makes our case.

F
    1 Reply
    1. Hold small scale concerts/art events for upcoming local artists who could volunteer to expose/present their piece in this event and charge an affordable entry ticket. Minimise expenses by asking local vendors to contribute with food (increasing sales and visibility), engage volunteers/beneficiaries to assist with the running of the event in exchange of acquiring skills and experience. Choose a public location to minimise hiring costs (some councils allow the use of a dedicated space for free or a small fee). Or partner with an organisation that can host the event in exchange of visibility or a small percentage. Repeat this regularly could be monthly with a different theme.

2. It would allow the organisation to raise funds, allow volunteers and beneficiaries to gain something from the experience also just enjoying the event, allow the revaluation of art and upcoming cultures, big-up the local community also for opportunities of local tourism.

@vincent1996maart said in Module 2 Discussion: Types of Support:

I could organize a bingo evening every year and ask 30$ income for the seat and use of the bingo and for the entertainment and I could set up separate billing for food and drinks. That way I will definitely have a higher net income than I'm giving, just like Tom suggested.
    On this charity evening people can donate in a box whatever they want to give and we disclose : '' for all activities that concern our organization such as helping raise money for finding better cancer treatments, preventing cancer by more accurate research and other activities that our organization concerns itself with.
    That way the money people put in the box will be an unrestricted gift.
    People will get the chance to fill out a form and register how much they gave. Obviously this will be verified. They get a receipt for taxes after they donated.

With the money I would invest in new infrastructure for my charity, put money aside for salaries as well as bills that have to be paid, put some money aside as a reserve for the organization for when cash flows are lower during the year, and the rest would be going to cancer research funding directly (program support).

A
    1 Reply
  • What strategy to use depends on what works in the local environment in which you operate.

In cote d'ivoire the funds from call for proposals made by foundations are the most common and only available restricted funds at the moment.

So one would need to create a downstream partnership with other local organisations and movements that can feed their own resources into our ngo while letting go of operational control and expenses since they will be handing it over to fund our organisations activity in exchange for visibility at events.

• To draw from your suggestions in my context it would be very important to recognize the role of volunteers in resource mobilisation for local ngos..and indeed the kind of volunteer experience that you create from your fundraising activities is important to its success.

• For our organization, we plan to organize a cultural day animated by young people from the northern Ivorian region. The funds collected will be used to carry out our library project for the education of young girls. To this end, we will ask the municipality to contribute to the success of the event by providing us with the large communal hall.
    To give more importance to these festivities, we will invite personalities who will automatically be the sponsors of our organization and who will receive their honorary membership card. This initiative could motivate these donors to accompany us during the various activities of our organization.

• To get more unrestricted funds, we have to scout for more individuals and entities whose primary focus is to change lives however way possible. With this, they may have a bigger goal of changing societal welfare but do not dictate specifics of how the donation should be used. Having more lifetime subscribers who believe in the general mission of the organization. People with large money interested in legacy funding would also be a good source of our organizational financing. Unrestricted funding reduces the amount of compliance and financial reporting requirements by the donor hence giving our organization a greater leverage to coordinate its financial allocations in ways that respond to its specific changing circumstances. The financial flexibility that comes with unrestricted funding allows for more pragmatic utilization of funds in line with organizational objectives and not restricted by funders.

• Your reply is too generalistic which leaves me wondering whether really the answer is based on some fuzzy general knowledge or specifics of module 1. There is a clear distinction between restricted and unrestricted funding. There are multiple ways that result in either of the fundings with a specific difference being the level of control that the funder has on their money. So can you be more specific in your response to benefit all of us?

• Your ideas are very relaitsics and spot on. various activities organized by the organization can help in soliciting funds which the contributors will not have specific expectations on how they are spent. However, the general burden will remain on the organization to ensure that the funds are used to deliver the set out results so that they preserve the reputation and appeal for more such fundraising activities.

• hay say halloooo

• We are currently looking into new types of fundraising events, always considering the current pandemic though. We do have our sport events in the calendar, but would like to add additional events in art/music or baking in order to attract not only the athletic ones. This way we could also get in touch with small businesses in our community, expand our reach through social media and hence find new ways of support. Businesses can sponsor and/or be part of the event directly. Individuals will share our event on social media, inviting their family and friends.

• I agree with you on having fundraising events. I guess one has to be careful on holding too many events and when they are though. In our case we have to look out for pay day.

• Through individual and donor support by not requesting money for a specific activity but inform them that the funds will be used to enhance various activities and also through organizing fundraising for the organization to achieve its mission.

G
    1 Reply
  • Increasing our monthly donors base. We'll have more unrestricted funds to cover operational cost that will increase our capacity.

• Yes we will also organize small scale fundraiser!

• Understand the components of a healthy individual-giving program

Understand the different sources or types of funding available

Consider how your organizational profile and your community/country’s fundraising practices should inform your funding sources

Understand the basics of a successful fundraising event as a source of unrestricted funding

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?

• Send unsolicited grant proposal.

• Request for in kind and support and donations.

• It help saving cost on in kind donation we will originally pay for.

• On cost saving it will also help us use grant funding for programs and project alone by implementing without operational cost challenges.

• Yes we will also organize small scale fundraiser!

• OK that's a great idea

• Increasing our monthly donors base. We'll have more unrestricted funds to cover operational cost that will increase our capacity.

H
    1 Reply
  • Focusing on soliciting towards the end of the year when private donors have a clearer picture of the giving they'd like to do for tax deductions and perhaps aligning this with a high profile event to offer increased exposure. The funds raised could help support future outreach events and drive awareness for additional donors/ volunteers.

• Soliciting towards the end of the year when private donors and institutional funders have a clearer picture of the giving they'd like to do for tax deductions and perhaps aligning this with a high profile event to offer increased exposure. The funds raised could help support future outreach events and drive awareness for additional donors/ volunteers.

• The club is a member of a national organization. Appeal to other club's members for them to give small and ongoing gifts.
    With this extra unrestricted money more equipment could build on the capacity of the programs.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.