Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 4 Discussion: Turn “I” into “We” Story

Bar graph of Refugee Data

Imagine if you had to present this graph on the refugee education crisis to your audience of educated adults. How can you turn this “I” story—that refugees have poor access to education—into a “we” story that your audience can relate to?

Post your “we” story to the discussion board. Then, check out your peer’s stories and vote or comment on the one you felt did the best job of turning the “I” into a “we” story!

C
    A
    N
    S
    A
    15 Replies
  • 290 Replies
  • It should be noted, however, that this graph regarding the education crisis mostly affects men who are judged to have poor access to education. Why is that ? We need to look at the graph here, imagine when all the world experiences what is called an educational crisis, surely all students will be burdened, but try to imagine when all male students experience an educational crisis where they are only allowed to work hard and hard and are not allowed to hone their education. the difference in this graph is very significant with refugee education and global education. Therefore, in my opinion, with this graph we can see and judge that male refugees should have the right to get a good education for their future.

1 Reply
  • When we were child, we sure got a proper education. It has been a big part of our lives. The only thing that we need to focus on was studying. But these refugees, don't get the privilege to get a high education.

P
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@christabelfiratika ,thanks for your thoughtful answer.

I
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@JessicaOla ,thanks for your answer.

• i think it's about how we put the conditions that everyone can relate to such as "beautiful day" in that note is represent how people with normal eyes can feel it and it make them feel more symphaty.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@SyifaSalsabilah24 ,thanks for your thoughtful answer.

• We all have friends from our childhood, mostly since our school days. We were lucky to got to the school in our community, continue the study in there till the completion of at-least secondary education. Many of us had done our higher education with our school friends as well.

Now imagine a situation, when suddenly we have to leave our house/ friends/school/ community everything near and dear to us and flee to a totally strange place. We do not have means for survival, so schools and education is not something on the list of priority. Slowly but steadily our family will look for employment/income which is not sufficient to meet our needs in a foreign land, eventually we lost our education in mid way, adding to the pool of 63% and 23% refugee student in primary and secondary education.

Our organisation is running non-formal education centre close to the refugee settlement, where 300 children are learning local language and school curriculum to match their learning with our countries. After they reached the grade ,we enroll them to the public schools to continue the further education. So far we have supported 200 children for education.

D
    L
    A
    N
    6 Replies
  • @JessicaOla said in Module 4 Discussion: Turn “I” into “We” Story:

When we were child, we sure got a proper education. It has been a big part of our lives. The only thing that we need to focus on was studying. But these refugees, don't get the privilege to get a high education.

great!

C
    L
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@Daliajacob ,I love how you've written this.

• Education is the best way to help children grow and develop, besides being the key to rebuilding their country. Education is also a priority to lead to a better and brighter future. However, in reality, school is still a dream for most refugee children. We can see from the graph that is presented. Refugee children tend not to be able to get education. It is time for all parties to pay more attention to education for child refugees. The refugee status that they wear should not necessarily eliminate children's rights to get proper education for their future. Because there is not a single child in this world who can choose what and where he is born.

1 Reply
  • In my opinion, the story by Daliajacob is very good and can turn the "I" into a "we" story. I am sure that through this story, the audience will understand and feel sympathy about the situation.

1 Reply
  • i think it's about how we put the conditions that everyone can relate to such as "beautiful day" in that note is represent how people with normal eyes can feel it and it make them feel more symphaty.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Cantikaoktaviana30_ ,your writing is on point.Well done !!!

• Course Facilitator

@SyifaSalsabilah24 ,your response is much appreciated.

• Course Facilitator

@Cantikaoktaviana30_ ,I agree with you on this one.

• New Normal during covid-19 has caused a fear of uncertainty and become a prior condition which we have to face nowadays. It's strange to meet people and socialize in a normal way but just in front of the gadgets and screens. It somehow affects our moods and emotion and we probably experienced "shock" that we cant explain, identify, and overcome, as a social human being. So that's why Binus Univ would present to shows the ways to overcome the fear of uncertainty.

1 Reply
  • CHILDREN IN VERY IMPOVERISHED REGIONS ARE INUNDATED HENCE THE CHILDREN WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO SUFFER THE CHALLENGES AND LACKS

• Course Facilitator

@angeltinihada
    @denedo83
    Thank you for your responses.

• While, for most of us, primary, secondary, and even higher education is part of a path to success and financial stability, access to education at all levels for refugees is profoundly limited. Imagine fighting for survival--leaving your home unexpectedly with little to no time to prepare, fleeing from danger, to find yourself in a place you've never lived before. Perhaps you don't speak the language. Perhaps you don't have the proper paperwork to enroll your children in school. Indeed, education falls low on the list of priorities compared to shelter, food, and income.

Our organization understands that hardships for refugees don't end when they've made it out of immediate danger. We work to enroll refugees in flexible small group tutoring sessions--delivered in a variety of languages--to help them achieve their educational goals.

L
    2 Replies
  • You do a great job tapping into universal emotions here, contrasting friendships developed in school with refugees who aren't able to continue their education.

• education is one of the best ways to help children develop and when we are small we certainly get the best education. All we need to do is come to school and study, but not for these refugees children going to school is still the dream of some of them. As we can see in the draft there are refugee children who do not get proper education, now is the time for us to pay attention to this issue. All children deserve a chance to get proper education

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@dyanocha22 ,your writing is on point.I love how you've expressed the plight of refugee children.Well done!!!

• Course Facilitator

@angelahalim ,thanks for your nice try.

• For individuals, education increases self-esteem and further opportunities for employment and income. And for a country, it helps strengthen institutions in society, fosters long-term economic growth, reduces poverty, and spurs innovation. however this is not felt by some people. one of them is refugee children. They certainly still feel that getting a proper education is still a dream that must be achieved and there is encouragement and support from other people.

therefore this issue must be made a matter that needs to be raised. It requires a big role from several organizations to become an extension of helping refugee children get a proper education.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@MariewenttyCR ,your writing is really good.Well done!!!

U
    1 Reply
  • Most people reading this had a primary, secondary and high school education. Refugees don’t have this privilege as only 63% received a primary education in comparison to the global average of 91%. Even though worldwide less children receive an education as they get older, refugees have much less of a chance to be educated. 84% of the world receives a secondary school education, except for refugees, as only 24% of them receive secondary schooling. It gets even more stark with high school. While 37% of us were in high school only 3% of the refugees were able to receive a high school education. Such a terrible plight for refugees that shows how we were so lucky to be educated.

N
    J
    A
    4 Replies
  • Dalia Jacob I like what you wrote as it was very real, easy to imagine and was touching. Also it is important and wonderful work you are doing enabling the terrible gap to be narrowed between those able to receive an education and the few refugees who may be lucky to get an education. How wonderful for them to receive what they all should naturally be able to receive.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Linda ,you've written your response really well.Well done!!!

• Course Facilitator

@Linda ,I totally agree with your opinion regarding @Daliajacob 's response.

• See the graph above, which shows the inequality of education in this country. Imagine if we, who face situations such as refugees, find it difficult to get an education, have already received income due to the situation they are experiencing. The graph shows that there is an educational crisis faced by all of us. As a step towards our organization's attention in facing the education crisis, we provide non-formal education centers to 1000 children by learning technology and adapting the learning curriculum to our country.

1 Reply
  • This story is a good idea when he turns "I" into "We", and then he uses data to convince the audience.

• Course Facilitator

@Aiman001 ,thanks for sharing your answer with us.

• Do you remember your first day at school? Maybe your mom put you on the yellow school bus. You were so excited you couldn't wait to get on.

Imagine you were a refugee child. You'd never get to climb on a school bus and only two out of every three kids would be able to go to primary school at all.

Now fast forward. You're going to secondary school. Maybe you're going to a new school and you have mixed feelings at having to find your place in a new environment. Eight out of ten children across the world go through this. But if you're a refugee, it's different. Three out of every four refugee kids will never make it to secondary school.

And finally, the day you head off to college. You're finally grown up and here's where your real life begins. Out of your five schoolmates, two will go on to college, and a world of possibility.
    But if you're a refugee? Your chances of getting a college education are 3%.

It's not as if it's your fault. But far more likely than not, your education is over.

N
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@Binka001 ,you've clearly outdone yourself on this one.Well done!!!

• We, who have a perfect life, with global education, with everything fulfilled will never experience the life of the refugees. We grew up on a good environment with a lot of life support. But from what we see and what we hear today, the refugees doesn't have any good education. If we were them, what will we do? The primary education student should be meeting new friends and learn basic things, but refugees can't, because of the poor education. The secondary education should be exploring yourself and playing with teenagers, but what can refugees do? They only focus on how to get a secondary education officially. The higher education we focus on making our future, while the refugees can only wait for official documents. All of this reminds us to always appreciate and help others. Imagine all schools or educational institutions allow refugees officially and help them to find their education, it would be heaven for us, we can walk together as the future's hope without any differences.

1 Reply
  • Agreed, thank you for your post

• Such a good response.

• Course Facilitator

@NyomanPutriWidiastini ,thanks for your answer.Nice try.

• We all agree that our lives revolves around education , it has proven to be a ground leveler in many ways and a gateway to more possibilities in life.
    The sad thing is that children in refuge camps are getting less and less of this vital opportunity. If we do nothing to give the refuges an opportunity to get educated , their lives be characterized by doom, misery and hopelessness.
    We can make a huge difference on the direction of their lives.

1 Reply
  • I love how you brought out the difference between us who were privileged to live a normal life that gave us unrestricted access to educational opportunities and them the refugees who are denied the necessities of life because of war in their countries and you made your statement stronger by the addition of some statistics. I must must emphasize that the ' WE' aspect also came out.
    Thank you

• Hie fellow learners
    I am sorry this a different question.Is it possible to put together a story that appeals to two different audiences, for example beneficiaries and the donors?
    Thank you

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Wow. @JonesRundora ,thanks for the nice try.

• Course Facilitator

@JonesRundora ,the donors' and beneficiaries' level of interest and influence differ.Thats why I believe it's better to customise stories for each of them.

J
    1 Reply
  • Thanks for the guidance and clarification

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@JonesRundora ,you're very welcome.

• do you have a son?
    if yes
    do you drive your son to school or work?
    if you are a refugee your son will going to work not school, and if he made it and go to the primary school he wouldn't go to the secondry, because you don't have money to pay for the meal, so education is luxury.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@aalaafarhat ,thanks for the nice try.

A
    1 Reply
  • thanks for the reply.

1 Reply
  • Education is a very important thing to help childs grow and learn, and it is our responsibilities to get the best education for our children if we not privilleged enough dont worry theres a schoolrship to attend with no fee

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@aalaafarhat ,you're very welcome.

• Course Facilitator

@IsmailTsabit ,thanks for the nice try.

• There are basic things we consider normal that are actually extra ordinary to some people at some moments in our lives, lets take education environment for a example, most of us went through education from Primary level to higher institutions just because we are required to or let me say "privileged", we can't even comprehend what it feels like not being able to go to school not just because we don't want to but merely the fact that you can't, imagine waking up every morning and realizing you wont be going to school because your previous place of study has been probably been destroyed during the civil unrest in your community and there is no school or any form of education in the refugee camp, take a look at the graph and see the stark contrasts of those in refugee education compared to those in global education, we can easily be one of those that are not able to get education whether in the primary or tertiary level, the only difference is circumstances.

1 Reply
  • n my opinion, from these two stories, we can conclude that there are still many people whose lives are far below us and they are still grateful for the limitations that exist.

1 Reply
  • Taking education has become a right for all of us as human beings. A proper education is a privilege we should be grateful to receive. Living the days of studying, returning to a comfortable home, eating food that we like and nutritious, interacting with family and friends safely are things that sometimes we forget that it is a gift.

Now imagine if all of a sudden we couldn't do it all. Imagine if all of these gifts were taken away and we ended up living a simple life, where even being able to sleep comfortably is difficult. That is what the refugee children feel.

In fact, the percentage of refugees who get an education never makes up 70% of the total. From the data, only 63 are lucky to get primary education like us, and only 24% get secondary education. Even sadly, no more than 3% of the total refugee get the opportunity to take higher education.

Our organization makes every effort to increase the percentage. We move in the name of morality and humanity to help refugees get the rights and privileges we all have. We aim to make their lives easier. Things that are easily obtained by the global so that it can be easy for refugees too

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@kevinross222 said in Module 4 Discussion: Turn “I” into “We” Story:

There are basic things we consider normal that are actually extra ordinary to some people at some moments in our lives, lets take education environment for a example, most of us went through education from Primary level to higher institutions just because we are required to or let me say "privileged", we can't even comprehend what it feels like not being able to go to school not just because we don't want to but merely the fact that you can't, imagine waking up every morning and realizing you wont be going to school because your previous place of study has been probably been destroyed during the civil unrest in your community and there is no school or any form of education in the refugee camp, take a look at the graph and see the stark contrasts of those in refugee education compared to those in global education, we can easily be one of those that are not able to get education whether in the primary or tertiary level, the only difference is circumstances.

@kevinross222 ,thanks for sharing your answer with us.

O
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@GivariArnanda ,I just love how you've expressed the plight of refugee children.

• Course Facilitator

@lcianthsya ,thanks for your point of view.

• Course Facilitator

Hello dear learners,kindly refer to Module 5:Share Your Adaptation and express your views.We look forward to your answers.

• Being a refugee and being a parent is challenging. Educating your children in a society whom codes you don't know, evolving in a environment unfamiliar, trying to speak a language you don't know yet.
    Being a refugee child is challenging too. Going to a school without understanding the language, the system, having your proper national history and being lost with your host country history. Trying to make friends and being accepted is harder.

As hosts countries, these graphics show how refugee children are welcomed, and we should ask ourselves, what exactly are we doing to make this better?

1 Reply
  • Very well done! It really make the reader involved in the story.

• Course Facilitator

@anna2813 ,I love how you express the dilemma of being a refugee and parent at the same time.Your statement is very relatable.

• Remember when we go to school, all the teachers always said that learning and knowledge is the rights of every human beings in this world? everyday on our life, we have been thought that going to school is a must thing for us to do so that we can be educated and ready to live a happy life. School has become a requirements on our society. Taking educations at school has made many people increase their self-esteem and increase our cognitive skills. All the knowledge that made all of us a person of who we are today is mostly teached at school. Some people also said that by taking educations at school is a great path to success. For us school is like a must do things in our life.

But not all the people around this world is as lucky as we did. Many of our brothers and sisters didn't get as lucky like us to be an educated person. Imagine if we did not get to go to school, imagine if that rights is taken away from you. What would you do if all of a sudden, you just don't have all the resources you need to go to school and have your rights to be educated.

If we talk about data, 84% of our community gets to go to secondary school, it means that from 100 people, 80 out of 100 is a graduate from high school, which is a very high number. But on a refugee camp, only 24% of them gets their secondary education, which means only 20 people out of 100 has graduate from high school. Even for them, to be able to get a higher education on a college and university is a big miracle for them. Only 3% of the people on the refugees camp has get their higher education.

We as an organization believe that education is every people's rights. We believe as a human being living on tis beautiful world we have the right to learn about everything we wanna know. I believe all of our community has the resources and can choose where they want to attend their high school or college degree. But for this people in this refugees camp, education is not something they can choose, it is a dream. They would do everything they can to be educated, they don't even think about choosing, they are dreaming about going to school. Our organization is doing our best to help this people get educated. By the name of humanity, we are doing our best to help these people to achieve their dreams and get their rights to be educated. We are trying to give the same rights that we get everyday to them, which is education. We believe that the world can be a better place by not only having fortunes and money but also by giving.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@indrastata ,I truly appreciate your nice try.

• In the growth of children education is one of the most important things, but there are many parents who do not have the money to register school, and eventually many children do not have formal education or drop out of school because of costs. Therefore, our organization is here to help children who do not go to school or end school because of the costs of returning to formal education so that their future can be achieved and improve their standard of living.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Aryasuta ,I just love how you've expressed this.

• Globally, access to education among children have greatly increased as 91% have access to primary education, 84% can access secondary education and 37% higher education. Access to education reduces as children advance in education. The situation is quite different among refugees as the percentage of children who can access education are more 30% lower than the global percentage. Similarly, the numbers reduce as children advance in education.

R
    2 Replies
  • We all have a right to education, imagine a child in refugee camps learning from a story book that you donated.

1 Reply
  • Wow! very well articulated and you have packaged the technical jargon into human speak

• Course Facilitator

@Elizabeth_Odhiambo ,I truly appreciate your nice try.

• Course Facilitator
  • With the graph above, it can be seen that there is an educational gap that occurs in this country, when the situation experienced by us is like this, the refugees must have difficulty in pursuing knowledge, because there is an income they get when they undergo something, this graph can be It is seen that there is an educational crisis experienced by everyone, due to the existence of an organization that helps provide a non-formal education center for 1000 children who are willing to be taught a science in the form of technology and learning that is in accordance with the country's own standards

1 Reply
  • This story has a very good idea to do because it can change the structure of the story tturns "I" into "We", to prove it is valid it uses sufficiently relevant data

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@ranca_pangestu ,thanks for your point of view.

• Course Facilitator
  • when we were a child, studying is our number one priority, but that's not the case to the refugees, maybe they're not as fortunate as most of us are, and that's why we should focus more on increasing the education for the refugees.

• when we were a child, studying is our number one priority, but that's not the case to the refugees, maybe they're not as fortunate as most of us are, and that's why we should focus more on increasing the education for the refugees.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@keziaaprilliaa ,thanks for expressing your point of view.

• imagine back in the day we were lucky to get a proper education since we're fully supported from our parents to be a successful and for financial stability for future but in this case refugee surely struggles a lot to got a proper education, fighting to survived to get a proper education but still it is so hard for refugee children because refugee tend to be not able to get education, it is also affecting their self-esteem and their further oppurtunities. let's look back at the graph, now its time for us to pay attention to this. All children deserve to get a chance to get proper education

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@sitepumafazi ,I love how you've expressed your point of view on the plight of refugee children.

• Imagine you were running for your life because the sounds of war are so loud that the only thing you want is to survive. Imagine you are holding the hand of a 6 year old child during the race. Imagine you are alone and you don't know where your family is. Imagine you left school behind. Imagine the rest of your life being conditioned by these facts.

Imagine you are a child.

Education is not a priority in refugees´ lives. Lets get together and give them a safe place to live and the opportunity to study. We won't take the pain away, but we will be helping them craft their future.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Guadalupe ,thanks for the nice try.

• Imagine life without all our primary school memories. From the games, to the competition at quiz time, to sharing experiences and all the high school memories that made us smile during our formative years.

Remember that best friend from primary school who you now tell everyone is your cousin because of how close you both grew? Well Some people can't relate to that. Not the refugee children who can't even get access to primary education. Join us today us today as we enroll 10 refugee children to primary education each week.

N
    P
    3 Replies
  • we can see from this chat, that education is an important tools required to fight obstacles and challengence but not everybody seems to get access to it,everyone has the right to have access to education be it the poor or the rich class,we deserve this life changing opportunity

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@IfyAbas ,your writing is on point.Thanks for the nice try.

• Course Facilitator

@odimgbee24 ,thanks for expressing your point of view.

• We have invited these refuges to live in our country, now we need to give them access to all the benefits we enjoy, and that includes a sound education. Only through equal education can we reach equality in this country

P
    2 Replies
  • Very nice - evokes our own memories and makes us want others to have the same

• Course Facilitator

Hello @NIKKIB ,thanks for:
    +Expressing your point of view on the plight of refugee children.
    +Actively participating in our course discussion forum.

• We leave on the same planet with the same duties and rights. When they are crisis in a part of the world we are suffering and the social impact is very big. the refugee education crisis concerning primary, secondary and higher education is real. So we have to do something to solve these bad statistics. Education is a right for each one and it permits to have good citizen. Educated refugees contributed positivly to economics activities. Today say yes to refugee education!

• @NIKKIB , very nice message!

• When we were children, school became the place where we ignited our imagination to become whatever we wanted - a teacher, a doctor, an astronaut. All seemed possible if we studied hard. The older we got, the further we advanced in our education, the closer we got to making our dreams come true. Now imagine that the opposite happened to you - the older you got, the further your dreams became from coming true because you could not attend school.

M
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@Sabancevaite ,your writing is on point.Well done!!!

• When you were a child you were most likely told by a teacher that you could do anything you wanted and to follow your dreams. But what if you were never given that encouragement, never had that teacher or never had the school in the first place? Education opens doors to opportunity and the rest of our lives, but for many refugee children it is inaccessible. The future of these kids starts here and you can help us make it brighter.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@AB719 ,your writing is on point and you've expressed your answer beautifully.Well done!!!

• During our childhood, we had families and well wishers who pays our tuitions till high education . we did not experience hardship during our tenure growing up. The man made and natural disasters forced many people to flew their motherland, they experience hardship and can't afford to continue with their education.
    How does it feel like when we learn others were suffering but we ignore the fact because exclude them from us. If they did not get education how will our grand sons grew up, what image would they inculcate.

Let's cherish humanity and established schools with formal and non-formal education system which is job oriented and it will run for 6 months twice a year. The initiative will show humanity and many refugees will have hope if we give our helping hands. To share, help and care will give them peace of mind and welcome us when we visit their mother land which is crying.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@dennisjoe782 ,wow.Thanks for the nice try.

• Education is important... it has helped us to grow and develop into what we are. This is beside helping us to get the good jobs. Now, imagine to have run way from your country because of war, would we not want to continue with school?

Unfortunately, this is not the case with most refugees. As presented in the graph, most of the refugees have low access to education. There is need to help them get back to class.

1 Reply
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.