Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Introduce Yourself in Storytelling for Impact (Oct 2020)

Welcome to the course discussion board!

To get started in this course, follow the prompt below and respond to at least two other learners:

Prompt:
    Introduce yourself to your peers with a story! Tell a story of how you got here, what motivated you to join your organization, what social impact mission you are working on, and/or what goals you would like to accomplish in this course. Really try to bring out your passion and emotion in this story, so your peers can get a sense of who you are and where you might be aligned!

To be more successful in this course, we recommend you work in a team. Create or join one today!

A
    N
    T
    A
    F
    29 Replies
  • 300 Replies
  • Hi My name is Jessica Ola. I am Indonesian and I'm 20 years old.
    I belong to some organizations. As a child, I belong to my family. As a student, I belong to Binus University. I also joined a radio community in my University, called BVoice Radio. And as a Christian, I belong to a Church, NDC Ministry.
    I happened to join our church community for Youth, called Circle and honored to be one of the leaders. So, I decided to work on a story to invite others to join Circle and make a social impact!

A
    V
    3 Replies
  • Hi, My name is Roli, from Nigeria, Africa. Glad to be here. i recently started a Not-for-profit that caters to providing wealth creation opportunities for the economically challenged here in my country and in Africa at large. I then decided to get resources that help me build a great organization hence my decision to enroll on courses such as these here at the Philanthropy University.

S
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@JessicaOla ,I warmly welcome you to the course.Happy Learning..

• Course Facilitator

@roliwilkey ,I warmly welcome you to this course.Happy learning and best of luck with your new organization.

• Life indeed is not a smooth ride, this I say from experience. From childhood dream of being a medical doctor to studying microbiology and working menial jobs very parallel to my plans. My best experience has been volunteering on an HIV project where I got to interact with people in under served community. This gave me a sense of purpose through service but my Eureka moment to start an NGO dedicated to strengthening health systems for the aged came after I relocated to Lagos to care for my ailing mum and assisting her to meet up hospital appointment. The quality of services rendered is heartbreaking, considering the class of patients and their unique needs. To equip myself with the right knowledge, skillset and plan to tackle the identified problems, I have enrolled for global social entrepreneurship to design a human centered solution and storytelling for impact, to communicate the objective of my organization to garner all the support I can get.

I am Idorenyin Andem.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@IdorenyinAndem ,I warmly welcome you to this course.Happy Learning!!!

• Thank you Allan

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator
  • Hi, my name is Aiman. I am from Indonesia, and I’m 21 years old.
    I am an active student at Bina Nusantara University, Faculty of Economics and Communication, majoring in Marketing Public Relations. I am a person who likes learning new things. Therefore I am good at working in teams and also working individually. I join the sports community, the Covid 19 pandemic situation has to maintain the body to stay in shape and eat healthy foods. That's why I decided to enroll in a course like this at Philanthrophy University, to make a better social impact.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Aiman001 ,I warmly welcome you this course.Happy Learning!!!!

• Hey guys, I am Sadrach from India. After completing my allied health science course, i had taken the path to make a change and serve the community, so I have enrolled in Master of Public heath which helped me to gain knowledge and understanding about the need to make an impact for the people. But I felt that I was lacking in something and I found I am not good enough to portray my ideas to the community and the other workers. I felt the need for learning the skill for story telling and here I am. I believe the story telling will help me share my stories in the future of the world.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@sadrachrailton ,I warmly welcome you to this course.Happy Learning!!!

• Story te;ling for me is going to be a very interesting teach. Am anticipating i,proving my capacity as a good student.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@denedo83 ,I warmly welcome you to this course and Happy Learning!!!

• hi,I am professor turned social entrepreneur who wants to make social impact in the rural area for that story telling impact is quintessential to create social impact in general

1 Reply
  • hi,I am professor turned social entrepreneur who wants to make social impact in the rural area for that story telling impact is quintessential to create social impact in general

@alUG said in Introduce Yourself in Storytelling for Impact (Oct 2020):

icaOl

hi,I am Gajendrasinh Rathore,former assistant professor and now social entrepreneur who want to transform rural areas in the state of Gujarat ,India through educational programs and agriculture .Through 12 years of experience in the field of education ,i truly believe that education is the most powerful tool to transform lives

O
    2 Replies
  • I got this platform my colleague and mentor Pankaj Mall who is CEO of Astittva Welfare Foundation

1 Reply
  • To learn art of telling stories

• Course Facilitator

@aaryadit ,I warmly welcome you to this course.Happy Learning!!!

• Course Facilitator

@aaryadit ,it delights me to know that a friend of yours recommended Philanthropy University to you.May you enjoy your time here.

• Course Facilitator

Hello Gajendrasinh Rathore,welcome to Philanthropy University & thank you for choosing to enroll for this course.

• Hello, my name is Abraham Freeman Okwukwe from Nigeria, Africa. it an amazing opportunity to be here, i have been volunteering for several non profit organization for the past 15 years, couple of years ago i decide to start a foundation of my own in my name, with the purpose of giving back to my community and also making my direct community a better place to live as humans, with the issues we are facing as a country now which is about police brutality, which 70 percent of youths in Nigerian has been a victim, i decided to get resources that can help me build a great advocacy campaign platform to tackle the issue. hence my decision to enroll on courses such as these here at the philanthropy university.

1 Reply
  • wellcome, trust you are in for an amazing experience

• Course Facilitator

@Okwukwe ,I warmly welcome you to this course.Happy Learning!!!

• Hi, I am Rachel Mujong, a Nigerian. I am passionate about writing and research and would love to use these skills in the development field specifically in relations gender equality and political development.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Chel_yung ,I warmly welcome you to this course and Happy Learning!!!

• Finding ways to improve myself, personally and professionally, I constantly search for on line classes or trainings. I came to know about Philanthropy University three or more years ago over facebook. Currently, my line work is in the area of disaster risk reduction management in the Municipality of Claveria, Masbate, Philippines 5419. At first I worked at the Municipality so that I could be with my parents who were at the time at their twilight. Through this course I can be a better story teller to make my advocacy on community based disaster resilience effective, so that I could get more people on board this advocacy.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @AlGueta ,you're welcome to this course & Happy Learning!!!

• Hi All, my name is Dorothy and I am glad to be part of this team. I have been having the desire of being a good story teller, one that can catch the attention of many. When I read the title of this topic, for a minute I paused, and I was like........mmmmm this is exactly what I want at the moment......... To be that lady that can talk, and talk and talk without boring her audience and let my audience yearn for more time with me listening to my stories.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @Calire ,I warmly welcome you to this course.I am certain that your decision to enrol for this course will positively empower _ enrich you with knowledge about story telling.Happy Learning!!!

• My name is Jones Rundora.I am a Zimbabwean citizen and i have a background in copywriting. My goal here is to deepen my understanding of fundraising in my quest to get into the fundraising arena probably as a full time employee or consultant

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@JonesRundora ,I warmly welcome you to this course.Happy Learning!!!

• Hi . Greetings to all . I'm Ismiel Abir from Bangladesh . I love to learn new things . My favorite topics is psychology .

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@IsmielAbir ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Hallo, my name is Theresia Adven Dea K. People call me There. I am 20 years old.
    I am an active student at Gadjah Mada University, Faculty of fisheries, Indonesia. I actively participate in organizations on my campus. I like telling stories and writing stories

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @theresia_adven ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning!!!

• Knowledge they say is power. And the day you stop to learn is the day you die. From a young age, I’ve always been a very inquisitive one. I always wanted to know why this was this and that was that. This has enabled me to stay informed.

Growing up and now starting my business, yes the entrepreneur lifestyle, I have decided to learn storytelling to not only build my business but to impact lives as I do. My name is Oluwadamilola Johnson. A 22 years old graduate of Mass communications from Houdegbe North American University, Benin Republic. My passion to learn more about storytelling asides other courses is why I joined the philanthropy university and I can’t wait to begin my journey with a community of people who want to learn and impact lives as well.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Dharmy_jhay ,a warm welcome to you and Happy Learning!!!

• Hey all !!!
    I am Srishti, I love to write.
    I was going through a youtube video where I saw Ameen Sir talking about storytelling and that's when I realized how powerful the storytelling is. I decided to watch all of his videos available on youtube and will try to learn as much as I can from his videos.
    I had no idea that they offer this course, that too for free.
    The moment I got to know about this, I was the happiest.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @Srishti1414 ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Hello, I am from Vancouver, BC Canada, and I am very happy to be here. I work primarily in healthcare with people who are suffering with chronic homelessness, have substance abuse issues, and are marginalized. I joined the local health organization when I was down and out myself, was homeless for ten years, but I was fortunate I had hope and faith that my situation was temporary and would improve. My heart goes out to those who struggle with addictions, and the mentally ill who are homeless, and don't trust people to come in from the street. Some of them live in tent city, which the police often take measures to move them out of the parks, so they are displaced, again. I don't think a day has passed in three decades when I wasn't fighting for the underdog despite my own health issues. Some people are so vulnerable having been the victims of terrible abuse & PTSD is rampant. There are few services for them to access. Getting into counseling when one has no address is quite difficult. I quite an adventure when I was homeless. I had faith, like I mentioned, and I also have health issues, multiple sclerosis being one of them. I was depressed, and going for counseling myself once I got housing, and one day the psychiatrist didn't appreciate my walk of faith, and she accused me of having delusions of grandeur, and two pinked me. Two pink papers means involuntary admittance to the psych ward. Now, me, locked in there wasn't so bad. I worked at cheering up other people, and then my sense of humour took over, and I seriously started to consider booking it out of the psych ward.I had my plan. When the breakfast cart came in, I was going to quickly shimmy out the door. The only problem was that I was in grotesquely coloured hospital psych ward so how was I going to manage to escape and go home without getting picked up by the police and taken back to the psych ward. So I reluctantly stayed, and was reading a magazine when one of the team manager from my newly acquired job came to visit. He told me he wanted to do a story about me, on film. so long story short now, I accepted his offer, and because of that I was going to be discharged from psych the next day. I had been on the ward for three weeks by then, and was happy I was getting out of there, but the hospital food was surprising good, because I knew the secret which was to order kosher meals because they were catered. Sneaky. Yum! So, I went home the next day, and then a few days later I was called to do the film, and I choked. I couldn't stop coughing. Nerves I suppose. Finally it stopped and we got the film done. The I was asked to do a motivational talk called Heart and Soul, for the new staff who were going through orientation. It went over well, and I was asked back several times. So, now had I lost my house back when I was bordering on homelessness, and my dog, and my car, and my children, like a bad country song, but now I was getting into an apartment which is in a gorgeous neighbourhood, and I couldn't be happier. This whole story is just to say, no matter what circumstances you are facing, there is a way out, but it would probably help to not listen to the status quo. So many rules and bureaucracy. Have hope, and don't give up. And if you suffer from a mental or other illness remember, "Never give up on a person with a (mental) illness, for if you replace the I in illness with we, you get (mental) wellness". I am taking this course because I want to be able to effectively articulate my story, with more passion & perhaps do some motivational speaking. My life experience hasn't been easy by any means, and I think I can contribute to the community by communicating how one can go through some challenging times, or for me often times it was ridiculous times. (You want me to what?! You have to be kidding me.), and come out the other side smelling like a honeysuckle. So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. TTFN

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@penrowley ,thank you for sharing your powerful and inspiring story with us.Welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Hello
    My name is Saadah Alhassan and I am from Nigeria. I hold a Bachelor of Art Degree in History but currently am a freelancing graphic designer.
    Actually what motivates me to join this course is I have alot in my mind, that I want to share but I don't know where to start.
    Hope I would be able to bring myself out by the end of this course.

1 Reply
  • Learn to write mesmerizing stories with wonderful moments and feelings!

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @tadenalh ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning!!!

• Course Facilitator

Hello @Margarida_Pardal ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning!!!

• Hello, Wuraola from Nigeria here.
    I recently went a step further in the programmes department of the not-for-profit i work with, where We influence actions for so that child amputees and their families can live independent and limitless lives.
    Story telling is an enabler in showcasing the narrative of a project whether from design, implementation or the completion of the project.
    So it is critical that i sharpen my skills in story telling for the projects ahead of me.

I am expectant to what this course will birth.
    Cheers !!!

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @WuraKay ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Hi! I'm Shukri from Malaysia. I'm back after a long layoff. Hope to re-start this course until successful completion.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @ShukRahman_20 ,its always a pleasure.Welcome back.Give this learning experience your best shot and I am certain that you'll reach the finish line this time around.Good luck to you.

• Hello. My name is Amanda Salsabila. I am 21 years old. I'm from Indonesia. I'm currently in my last year in Binus University. I no longer become any organization member. I have a huge interest in social media and I observe there's a lot to explore in social media as it becomes everyone's consumption every day. I believe that social media tells a lot of story more than we all realize. I started to realize that I think to grow and develop a brand, I need to learn how to tell a story that will impact audiences, that's why i took this course. Looking forward to every module!

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @amanda-chaca ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Hi, my name is Annabeth and I am from the United States. I am serving with Americorps at a Habitat for Humanity affiliate. I have always liked the work of non-profits and got particularly involved with Habitat in college. I am taking this course to help tell Habitat's story in our local community and hopefully get more people involved with our mission.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @AB719 ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• I grew up in a family of storytellers. I used to think that I had so many stories inside me that it would take me several lifetimes to tell them all. The story of my great-grandma's misadventures with her rogue husband. The story of my grandmother leaving her infant child to go work in another country, quitting the job and turning down another lucrative opportunity to go back to him, then pining after him when he migrated to North America thirty-four years later. He was always her favourite of her six children, we tell her. She looks at us cross-eyed and sucks her teeth. Nonsense, she says, I love all my children the same. She now lives with him. We laugh about it and tease her, but in reality it was not of her choosing. Her country was devastated by monster hurricane Maria and moving was her best option. But that's another story.
    There are other stories too, of mothers and fathers, sisters and aunts, cousins and uncles, that I have always felt compelled to tell. And, until fairly recently, I never thought of the actual impact of these stories beyond touching a bemused or empathetic reader here and there.
    After years of working as an educator, I became a filmmaker. This is when I discovered the power of storytelling and how story could drive change in my community and possibly beyond. Suddenly impact made sense. I could no longer fathom just bringing stories to the screen because I knew that they were meant to do more.
    Since then I have worked on honing my storytelling skills so that I can tell stories that will move people to feel and to act.
    My name is Zephrine and this is why I am at Philanthropy University.

• Course Facilitator

Hello @ZiKR ,your writing is on point and your intro is amazing.Welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Hello, my name is Holly. I'm from Michigan, United States. I work for a retirement organization and we are focusing on telling the stories of our retirees to advocate for our organization.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @hjmayes ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• "I was ambitious, though I didn't know exactly what I was shooting for. Now I think it's one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child-What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that's the end."
    Michelle Obama, Becoming

If I were to write the story of my life, I would begin it with these lines from the book Becoming by Michelle Obama.
    Ambitious yet afraid to be in the light, I have grown up as a quiet girl in the now cleanest city of India. Being good in academics in a middle-class family means fulfilling the ambitions of everyone else around.

In this quest of moving ahead in life by fulfilling the expectations of others, I never learned to dream for myself. It was in the late teens that a realization struck me - who I am and where I wish to be at the moment.
    The answer was not satisfying.

Finding a purpose to give a direction to my life, I landed in depression, struggling with the idea of living in a world where no one around me bothered to talk about Mental Health.
    Since my struggle, I was sure of the way I wanted to move in life - to work in the area of Mental Health.

Exploring the idea, I realized one of the reasons people do not talk about it is the fact that no one talked about it to them. It is a lack of awareness.
    This is where my journey as a Founder began. I started taking workshops on Mental Health as an intervention in the education sector.

The idea is to make children the torchbearers of change and the ones initiating the conversation on the dinner table about Mental Health. Being able to make the younger ones help the elders erase the stigma around Mental Health would be a once-in-a-lifetime achievement. Maybe then we would be able to justify that 'change begins from home'.

The Impact Storytelling Course is a learning platform for me to begin my journey of impact and narrate my vision in a way that I can share it with the world from then on.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @PriyanshiT ,I am love with your writing as it's clear,concise and engaging.I warmly welcome you to this course.Happy Learning!!!

• Hi there,
    I'm Ning Luo from southwest China.I worked for Teach Up! program in 2008 after the great earthquake as a program manager.
    During the program,we share pictures and stories to our colleagues every week, spread the exciting changes to different people in our country through network, let them "see" what's happening and how teachers and students changed by the program.
    Compare with the fact, I really felt storytelling is a good way to grab people's attention, but how to create an emotional story frustrated me at that time.
    I think I found the right way here.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @NingLuo ,thanks for sharing your impressive profile with us.Welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Hi all, I am a journalist by trade having first completed a Bachelor of Journalism degree before working in newspapers and magazines in both South Africa and Australia (where I now live and work). After completing my degree, I then did a PR Diploma which led me into the world of corporate communications. Trying to create content that is compelling is at the heart of everything I do - be it for internal communications or external communications. I believe you never stop learning - and that's why I am doing this course

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @JayKayJay ,thanks for sharing your impressive profile with us.Welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Thank you for the warm welcome :)

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@JayKayJay ,its a pleasure to have you onboard.

• Hi Everyone, I am Meenu from India, I have completed masters in Development studies, I am working in Development landscape and I feel every initiative has its own different story and if one knows how to weave that story and connect with likeminded people, it has a larger impact and reach, hence would like to enhance my knowledge on this subject and enrolled here at the platform. :)

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @meenu_amity ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning!!!

• Hi, my name is Jesslyn, almost people call me Jess. I got this course from recommendation from my college, I'm animation student on Bina Nusantara University. Also, this is my first time join courses that is world wide known by. I'm very excited to learn more about storytelling, because there's so many people not like story that I made. So I hope this courses can accive my goals to make story better and people like it and can make my animation project more entertaining and more loved by a lot of people.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @Alt_jesslyn ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• I have been taught that people are divided into two main categories: 1) those that undertake a straight path to success (meaning reaching your goal, whatever that might be) and 2) those that take a longer, wiggly route to achieve it. In my case, I am definitely part of the second category. In fact, I have managed to change my mind about what I wanted to do in life more times than I was able to think about it. Every time I learnt a new subject, that was what I wanted to do. First was a comedian, as I love to make people laugh. Seeing someone smile and being the reason for it has always given me some sort of euphoria - I promise not in a weird way. Then it was biology, followed by veterinary due to my love for animals. This didn't last long when I realised I loved animals so much that I couldn't even bring myself to administer the infamous "sharp scratch" (as described by the nurses in the UK) of the syringe on the skin. So, there was psychology, apparently, though, not for rich people - whatever that meant. But before I could even set on one of these (amongst many more), I graduated from high school and was faced with two options. One, to enter the working life (but what job, since I was still debating?), and the other to go to university (with the same question!). Yes, as you imagined, I did both. I worked for one year in catering as a big chunk of all the newly graduate students to then decide that I had to make a decision of what to study. This way, the night before the deadline to apply to university, I wrote my personal statement highlighting my motivations to join the Development and Peace Studies department. These being: my passion for travelling and making people happy. Six years on, I live a life that I couldn't imagine better.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@sofiallegro ,your story is very relatable.Thank you for sharing it with us.Sometimes,it takes a while for someone to find their purpose in life.I am glad that you eventually found yours and you're finding fulfillment with it.Welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• My name is Nnenna Kehinde and I am a social media manager. I recently started managing an NGO's social media account and I want to learn how to use Storytelling to promote what we do while making an impact, I am glad for this opportunity.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @nneukamaka ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning!!!

• I am Idowu Ijeli. From Nigeria. I work with the children department in my church. I also teach adults in the church. I know that I can pass my message across through story telling. I want to be able to target my audience by telling stories.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @idijeli ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Thanks so much.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@idijeli ,you're very welcome.

• Hi everyone, My name is Gertrude Rollart and I am joining from Papua New Guinea. My country is in the Pacific, it is north of Australia and also a Melanesian Country. I come from a country that has a multi diverse culture and speaks more than 800 different languages.
    I was recommended by a colleague whom we joined Toastmasters together and have separately took our own ways to become entrepreneurs. With the flow of what she was doing, I thought she had a lot of skills to have so much passion in what she did. But then, just a few weeks ago, I told her that i had just registered my program and that means I can now be able to be my own boss. She graciously offered that I should look into Philanthropy University to help me with some of the skills I will need in the future. And Lo and behold! I have not regretted the decision to start immediately . This is a gold mine and too it is light bulb moments for me.. .I can now resonate with the saying.. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." I have taken up Planning for Monitoring and completed it within 2 weeks , started on Online Training during Pandemic and also completed it and started on Ten Rules for Leadership and as its underway ,I am now doing Story Telling for Impact. I am not going to miss anything for the world doing all these courses. As i have a mission to be committed in delivering my program I must also be able to empower them to be better versions of themselves.
    I want to achieve my goals of imparting skills to all walks of life given the time that I am able to learn and breathe.

C
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@rollartgertrude199 ,I am glad that you've chosen to enroll for this course.I warmly welcome you.Happy Learning!!!

• My name is Tenagne and I am from Ethiopia. I worked with child focused organization supported through sponsors for a long time. My work has been telling the story of the children before and after joining the organization. It has been such a wonderful experience. Now I am not with that organization but supporting and volunteering with like minded organization and churches. I was engaged in other course with the University and when I finished the I browsed through the courses and I was happy to see the story telling course. I believe it will help me refresh and enhance my story telling for the future engagement.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @Tenu ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning.

• Course Facilitator

@Tenu ,may you enjoy your time here.

• Hi, I am Ana, from Mexico.
    I started in the field of fundraising by my father. I didn´t study anything related in fundraising, I studied advertaisment, but little by little my dad introduced me to this world, now I love my job. I guide a non-profit, created by my dad and I want to learn more about the topic and become a good fundraiser.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @AnaLau ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning!!!

• Hello, My name is Benedicta Apeh. I live in Abuja, Nigeria. I am currently the Program Officer for a foundation whose goal is education for children. I love storytelling. I write a lot and I have written several fiction stories of my own. So, I am really looking forward to so much I can learn from this course, increasing my creativity, story crafting and learning about a different side of storytelling; especially in the non- profit space. This will in turn aid my organization scale its impact in telling our impact story effectively and getting more people on board to partner with us.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @benedictaN ,welcome to the course & Happy Learning!!!

• Hello everybody! I am very happy to participate in this course. My name is Isabel Polo (49) and I am a researcher on cultural issues. Many years ago I have been a volunteer for various institutions while I was studying Journalism and Literature. I have worked for almost two decades in the culture industry and I have noticed that it is not entirely democratic, since it excludes those who have the least. And the Covid-19 pandemic shows this reality with no clouds. And this has to change! My purpose is to make inexpensive books for free distribution to schoolchildren from the poorest sectors, who cannot go to their schools due to confinement. Many of them cannot continue their remote classes because they do not have electricity or internet to study and grow culturally. For me, learning how to tell impact stories can help me to get the support I need to make this dream come true. The book has the power to change lives, and all I want is to change lives!

G
    2 Replies
  • Hi everyone,
    My name Taliroyiahn Chermaine Rollart, I am from Papua New Guinea the smallest country anyone could find on the map. I joined storytelling because i want to improve how i say or tell everyone especially the children the stories i am telling. I was motivated by how stories are told in different vocal varieties, stories told in movies form and also told to the audience. in the end of this project i wan to be able to tell a story properly that would have an impact on the audience.

1 Reply
  • Hi. My name is Edmore Munedzimwe, I am Zimbabwean. Most of my professional life has been Software Engineering but I also do career guidance and training. The impact I'm trying to have is on driving African education to be more skills focused and I believe story telling is the way to motivate for that change.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @isabelispg ,thanks for sharing a bit of your story with us.Welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Course Facilitator

Hello @muneddmore ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

• Course Facilitator

Hello @taliroyiahnrollart78 ,welcome to the course and Happy Learning!!!

T
    1 Reply
  • Thank you so much

1 Reply
  • Hi, Im Ivy from malaysia. I am currently an university student majoring in geoscience subject. I found story-telling to be very interesting as it affects not only the way I narrate, but also bring impact on people surrounding me. I take up this course is to improve myself in communication and augment the message I want to deliver through my stories. I have always found communicating a difficult task as I am an inert who like to be alone. But recently, I found the significance communicating the ideas with groups of people to hone thinking skills and general knowledge. I learnt that by storytelling, I can attract people attention and ease the process of delivering message. Hence, I hope by the end of this course, I will be able to reach this goal. Thank you and take care!

B
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator
  • Course Facilitator

Hello @missnoovdle ,we are delighted to have you here.Happy Learning!!!

• the first Thing that came to mind when I started this course was, finally i found the solution to help friends and families who need such knowledge. But in order to help them i have to get it myself, practice and then i am able to tell others how sure i am to these knowledge.
    I find these module very interesting and challenging because of how far you should think in order find certain answers generally. It makes me feel like a whole new person. Thank you so much for these knowledge. I am so grateful.

1 Reply
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.