Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 3 Discussion: Building Trust

To ensure that we remain transparent, we will clearly communicate our objectives, challenges, and potential risks. We will also be vulnerable where we need to be, and request support if needed.

F
    M
    J
    O
    M
    8 Replies
  • 109 Replies
  • In order to take time to build trust, doing activities together that are not strictly business based may help. For example, spending a lunch together or going to tour the places you are working to serve together. The more time spent together, the more potential there is for bonding. Another way to build trust is to be transparent. This means always having an open line of communication. A good way to do this is scheduling weekly phone calls or having an ongoing email where everything can be solved together.

J
    F
    A
    P
    9 Replies
  • I couldn't agree more with your point on doing things outside of work. I think this is where allowing yourself become vulnerable plays a part.

J
    2 Replies
  • I would say many aspects contribute building trusts. Inviting your partners for having conversation, share your objectives and your work is very good, but knowing the background of the persons or organisation is also very important. For example, being an Asian, having informal gathering without work-related conversation is very helpful to know the back ground of the person.

J
    F
    3 Replies
  • To make sure i am taking my time to build trust, i will not put too much expectations on my partner. how they do things or how long they take to trust someone may not be the same with me

• To make sure my partner is involved in the processes as we build trust, i will ensure that they contribute there ideas on various issues, positive or negative. the positive will be accepted, and discussions will need to take place on how the negative views can be ironed out well...

• To ensure that there is transparency in building trust, i will ensure that we don't keep secrets between ourselves, especially on issues which concern us both. if something is not right or unsettling it has to be discussed asap

F
    1 Reply
  • To ensure that all areas which appear to potential sources of conflict are identified as we build trust, i will ensure that my expectations and needs are made plain. this may also include my values, principles and views on issues

• very true. it is important for one to make plain any of there weaknesses and isnecurities

• meals are actually a great way of doing it. this avails you an opportunity to discuss a wide range of issues. any distractions must be put aside

• clarifications on cultural differences also need to be discussed. what is acceptable in one culture may not be in another

• but how do you ensure that transparency and privacy don't come into conflict?

• adding on, it is very cardinal to also address someone by their name. if possible, ask which title someone prefers being called as, mr. doc. prof and so on

• would it make sense to start a partnership which you would like to leverage at a later date, say 5 years and not in the interim?

F
    1 Reply
  • when does it become unfit to continue holding on a partnership if some of the key tenets of partnerships are breached?

• how okay is it to build partnerships with family or relatives, because most of the times, these groups of people tend to take advantage and mostly aren't serious...

• listening, just listening is also a key aspect of good partnerships and building trust...

• if a partnership is not working, do you need to make it clear that you aren't interested anymore, or you can just walk away?

• so partnerships must be based on interests, and not really position. but doesn't position to some extent show that someone has experience on issues?

• is everyone part of an organzation supposed to 'like' a new partner an organization wants to bring on board?

• To make sure i am taking my time to build trust, i will not put too much expectations on my partner. how they do things or how long they take to trust someone may not be the same with me

1 Reply
  • Sure, transparency is key in building trust. Besides, sharing objectives and doing some activities together can earn some level of trust.

• Building trust is important to my organization; to ensure this, I will encourage my partners to visit our organization to see that we exist in the first place ad to discuss our internal systems and control. I will also enure transparency, open communiation and mutual respect.

G
    1 Reply
  • Building trust takes time. It is important you maximize on every minute you get to engage with your partner in order to help them understand you. For instance, i will invite potential partner to a round table session. The invitation is based on whether they have aligned interests to mine and complimentary resources. After that, I can engage them on ideas i want to implement. This is meant to invite their contributions. By doing this, I am building trust by allowing them to support the process of an expected mutual outcome.

• However, you must remember to stick to business during this informal excursions

• I second this. One's culture is very vital

• I am curious. How will you ensure that there are no secrets between the two of you? Transparent how?

• Yes it is...For the purpose of building trust. Also, their business network might prove beneficial to you later in the future.

• Share about my background and learn about theirs. Talk about funding priorities and expectations to avoid future conflict

• Building trust is applicable not just in work, but daily life, relationship building with friends and families.

• To build trust at first we have to attract attention of partner through understanding personal behavior and organizational culture. We should find areas of common interest to discuss. We should be clear what actually want to achieve through this partnership. Building trust is a process and require repeated interaction to partners. So we need to find areas of joint action. Responsible person for partnership should be transparent to her/his partner(s). Organizations expectation form partner should be realistic and specific. Conflict might arise and we should handle conflict openly through discussion and negotiation. People trust those whom they understand so I should help our partner so that they can understand me. We should not hide any conflict issue rather talked with partner. Our attitude should be positive and polite.

• The principal worked better here is "Equity" as both the partner invested resources. Principal not worked well is "Commitment and Co-accountability" which both the partner fail to maintain. A major issue here is there might have very minimum similarity of mission and vision of these two organization. MAX LT as a corporate is profit driven and follow rules of law for doing business but they have less social responsibilities . On the other hand UNCPP is a UN's development organization who's vision and mission shows social responsibility and commitment for reducing child labor. To make this partnership useful both the partner could sit together in a meeting or workshop and discuss their own requirement openly by responding the Wat they want from this partnership?

• Building trust require time and continue conservation together along with the expected and on hand partner. To build better and guarantee trust, is good to invite your partner for some project meeting, retreat and joint program planning to enable you know them better and behavior as well as capacity strength.

• To ensure my partners feel more involved, I will invite them for the M&E field visists

• In order to take time to build trust I will focus on exceptional communication, be open about my opinion, have a positive attitude, ensure we share knowledge and directly address issues.

• To ensure that I'm following the right procedure of building trust between me and my partner, I will make sure we spend more time together to get to know each other, create plans for the partnership together, and I will also detail everything I expect from the partnership and everything I will be able to give to make the partnership successful.

1. Early in the relationship each party should state their interests in the relationship and what they are ready to commit to attainment of an agreed on goal.
    2. Schedule time to plan and collaborate in each others work spaces as part of making time for the commitment and building the partnership
    3. Be transparent - let the partner in on who you are and why
    A
    1 Reply
  • trust is earned.

• You are so on point!!!

• I will take time to build trust by studying all the partner represents and stand for, invite key persons for lunch, meetups and even hangout where necessary. With respect to building processes, the lines of communication will be open to welcome their ideas on how best to achieve great outcomes. On transparency, there will be clear definitions of goals and outcomes, no covert moves as far as what brought us together is concerned. No doubt about the fact that there will be misunderstanding but such will be tackled with respect and maturity and not swept under the carpet. There will be no pretense.

• @Nkirote_Muriithi This will help save members a lot of stress arising from partnership as the coming together of strange bedfellows.

• Trust is the foundation and glue of a good relationship. If I don't trust people, I don't engage with them to a significant extent because I don't know what to expect of them. But my trust-based relationships are open and and transparent even if I had to invest a fair share of personal time and effort building them in the first place, while committed to keep doing so.

• To build trust with my partners, I make sure that our organizational goals and what we hope to achieve are clearly explained to our partners. At the same time, I would explain our organizational values and what do we expect our partners to behave. In this case, we will be more transparent to our partners.

• To my understanding, for one to build trust it all starts with the simplest and basic things. The small things and activities done together matters in building a strong relationship. For a new partner it would be good to have more open and free talks with a lot of team bonding meetings to discuss our likes, goals differences, insecurities, strengths and weaknesses as well. Through such talks we will find it easy to open up to each other. We need to create more time to spend together and involve our partners in activities that we do as we share the successes of any program. Another major factor is brainstorming on potential conflicts that could arise in the future and how best it can be resolved to avoid huge negative impact on the partnership.

• Team building and free interaction with a new partner enhances trust. You and your partner also need to be open and talk about your goals, weaknesses, strengths, and conflicting interests. This way you can be able to try resolve conflicting interset at an early stage before it grows up to be a big problem later.

R
    1 Reply
  • These are some of the critical things that you need to consider when building trust with a partner.

• Team bondings are a great way of building relationships between people in an organisation , therefore, they should be regurlarly practiced to achieve cohesion in an organisation.

• We shall make sure that we take time to build trust and be transparent that's by trying to understand each other as much as we can in order to achieve a common goal.

• To ensure that I am taking time to build trust, I will invite my partners to witness other projects /activities I am carrying out and allow them to share their points of view or inputs and concerns about the project. This can be achieved through constant communication and will express transparency. Also, potential areas of conflict can be identified and managed.

• In a nutshell, building trust is a gradual process and requires repeated interactions to partners depending on Our individual attitudes which definitely should be positive and polite. So we need to find areas of joint action. Responsible person for partnership should be transparent to her/his partner(s). Organizations expectation form partner should be realistic and specific. Conflict might arise and we should handle conflict openly through discussion and negotiation. People trust those whom they understand so I should help our partner so that they can understand me. We should not hide any conflict issue rather talked with partner.

• Building trust basically needs time in the way that, the time spent or shared both parties get to understand one another which helps in coming to effective solution. once both parties are on the same page where, there is clear objectives, goals and basically intended outcomes that leads to prover effective service delivery or a proper working relationship.

• because you can not work or trust someone you do not know their intensions for the relationship or why they would want to partner with you in the first place.

• To ensure we build trust we will clearly communicate our goals, project targets, objectives and organization work style to our partners. Also we would invite them for a partnership meetings and discus potential conflicts with them.

• To build trust, I will ensure we outline rules of engagement to avoid conflict

• I think there is a certain level of disclosures that has to be done to nature partnerships. Withholding information from partners can be a detriment to a cordial mutual trust.

• I think what typically lacks in this partnership is communication from both partners however is they created processes together like that of payments it could have made the relationship much Better.I think there is a need for certain level of disclosures that has to be done to nature partnerships. Withholding information from partners can be a detriment to a cordial mutual trust.

• Building trust between the partners is a time-consuming process. To build trust, I always invite my partners to some meetings that mainly focused our project objectives. Sometimes I invite them to visit our trainings with the government counterparts, arrange specific training for them, arrange visit to our project offices, welcome their ideas in building partnership process and finally go for some sessions with the partners regarding goals and outcomes of the partnering.

• Building trust between the partners is a time-consuming process. To build trust, I always invite my partners to some meetings that mainly focused our project objectives. Sometimes I invite them to visit our trainings with the government counterparts, arrange specific training for them, arrange visit to our project offices, welcome their ideas in building partnership process and finally go for some sessions with the partners regarding goals and outcomes of the partnering.

• To make sure I am building a trust based and strong relationship with my partners, I will ensure I update them on all the necessary progress of the organization and projects we are doing together.

• Be True to your word and follow through with your actions.

• While I agree that building trust takes time, it also permits some degree of predictability in the relationship. This gives partners the sense of belonginess in the relationship. I personally have often use informal approach/communication to build trust with partners. This help partners see professional life and personal life dedicated to work.

• I think being transparent and realistic about what you can deliver, and then following through on those commitments is a great way to build trust in a partnership. I think follow through is the most important thing in building and sustaining trust.

• To make sure I am taking time to build trust, I will invite my partners to tour my work place ans meet with other stakeholders i work with

• Principles of partnership being demonstrated are
    Equity, mutual benefits
    Those that were not demonstrated are transparency, trust and commitment and co_accountability

• Be open and honest whilst effectively communicating with the partner.

• For me building trust has a major factor when partnering with someone, it means you absolutely sure the person will not and never defraud you and also has the organization interest at heart not his/her selfish motive.

• To build the processes together , which leads to commitment and a sense of belonging , trust and responsibility .

• Aside time, i feel transparency and involvement is quite very vital in building trust

• I would have meetings and yes, bring the partners to my office to meet and see what activities are taking place in my setting.

• Yeah! transparent is extremely importanat

• Indeed,transparent is so important in creating an effective partnership

• Все прекрасно. Все отлично. Спасибо

• To make sure my partner is involved in the processes as we build trust, i will ensure that they contribute there ideas on various issues, positive or negative. the positive will be accepted, and discussions will need to take place on how the negative views can be ironed out well...

• You've made really valid points here. The goal is just to make them feel they are part of of the process.

• I will be transparent and bring potential conflicts of interest on table with my partners.

•   I will share updates and concerns related to project activities. Plan and execute for joint review meeting for reflection and learning. Arrange discussion for comments on key strategies and actions.
  • The ultimate goal of building partnership is highly dependent on trust building !

• Trust is something to be observed in practices but we should not be objective based on the the simple commitment. the respect of the commitment is a process to attend the level of trust

• As a leader, being trustworthy with partner is about, Ensuring that your words and actions match and also balancing the need for results with being considerate of others and their feelings

• I believe that having a lunch and meeting with key decision makers are amazing. It will allow us build trust between individually and partnership. Also should be transparent about what your target from this partnership is important.

• To ensure I am taking steps to build trust, I will include partners in identifying and reviewing issues together, share budget, timelines and relevant financial statements.

• I AM MENTORING NON PROFITS IN INDIA.
    YES, HAD GOOD EXPERIENCE IN BUILDING TRUST AND PARTNERSHIPS.
    SOME OF THE POINTS REQUIRED INCLUDES:

1. TOOK TIME TO KNOW EACH OTHER. BY DISCUSSION BOTH ONLINE AND OFFLINE.
    2. TOOK TIME TO KNOW MORE AND ASSESS THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE ASPECTS OF THE PARTNERSHIP.
    3. LATER INVITED THE PARTNERS TO SEE OUR ORGANIZATION, SERVICES, SUPPORTS, STRUCTURE, BENEFICIARIES,
      AND OTHER TARGETED GROUPS, ETC.
    4. DISCUSSED OPENLY ABOUT THE SWOT (STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES & THREATS) ANALYSIS OF
      THE PARTNER, POSSIBLE POSITIVES, NEGATIVES, HINDRANCES, LOSS OF RECOGNITION, LOSS OF REPUTATION,
      ETC.,
    5. CLARITY ON NEEDS, INTEREST, OUTCOME, AND IMPACT DUE TO THE PROPOSED PARTNERSHIP.
    6. KEEP THINGS TRANSPARENT AND VISIBLE AT EVERY STAGE OF BUILDING TRUST.

I AM WITH NON PROFITS SINCE LAST TWO DECADES. BUILDING TRUST WITH THE PRATERS AND DEVELOPING PARTNERSHIPS WORKS WELL FOR THE BENEFIT OF BOTH WITH ADDED VALUE AS A WIN WIN SITUATION. .
    LOOKING FORWARD

• To build trust with my partners, I will ensure that we plan for all major activities together; I will invite them to participate in the implementation of these activities. I will also organize sessions like roundtables and breakfast meetings just to help me know and understand each other more.

• Agree! Facilitating spaces for teambuilding and bonding, is key for strengthening a working relationship, that is reliable, mutually beneficial and valued

• Trust in partnership is gained when all parties are comfortable in the way partnership is being managed. To ensure trust is built in partnership, the following must be done:

1. Define together partnering goal: This will ensure that that each partner knows what needs to be done
    2. Sharing roles and resources: Roles and responsibilities must be shared in a manner that represents the partnership. This should also apply to resources needed for successful implementation of activities in the partnership.
    3. Transparency and accountability: All resources in the partnership should be accounted for all the time and that there must be transparency in handling things
    4. There must be a mechanism of handling complaints in the process
  • To make sure I am taking time to build trust, I will invite my partners to physical events, i will also send them some our customer feedback surveys, this is so that they can feel the pulse of the people we are serving.

• To make sure I am taking time to build trust, I will invite my partners to physical events, i will also send them some our customer feedback surveys, this is so that they can feel the pulse of the people we are serving.

• Trust is the base of any form of partnership. Its a must for every organization to trust their partners.

• I strongly agree with this point: trust is also built outside of work.

• Commitment to accountability- It is the responsibility of MALTX to adhere to what they had mutually agreed but failed to do so.
    Mutual benefit- Both MALTX and the UN agency should benefit from the partnership but it seemed no less contribution in terms of staff from MALTX

• To build trust I take time and meet with everyone and give them all the time I can. I also always stay very transparent to be sure all expectations are out in the open.

• To make sure we are building trust, I will openly declare any idea of conflict that arises in this first steps, so we can be fair and transparent about them and understand conflict is ok as long as everyone is able to accept and discuss it.

• Building trust revolves around several steps, including getting to know your partner and he gets to know you. There is no objection to seeing the goals and determinants of the other person to build sustainable trust.

• On my journey to building a strong, trust-based relationship with my potential partner, the technique of "reciprocity" is utilized. For example, I can gift my potential partner a book that would help him in his business decision-making, and also honor his invitation like a naming ceremony, marriage, or any other social event. By doing all these, you are putting your potential partner in a position to reciprocate when you need his help someday.

• In other to build trust, it is important to be as transparent and honest as possible during the process. If the other part is aware of your objectives, intentions, values, expectations and concerns, they're more likely to share theirs as well, which would allow for a sincere communication. By acknowledging all of these things, both parts know each other better and find it easier to trust each other.

• Building trust with colleagues, customers, and business partners is essential for any successful business. To build and maintain trust, there are four key tips that can be employed: taking time, building processes together, being transparent, and bringing potential conflict into the open.

Taking time is key to building trust, as it allows for conversations to be had and relationships to be built. Taking the time to understand and appreciate each person’s individual perspective is essential for building trust.

Building processes together is also important to create trust. Working together to establish a shared understanding of how tasks will be completed and what the expectations are will allow for a better working relationship.

Being transparent is also key to building trust. Being open and honest about objectives, expectations, and potential issues can help to build trust amongst colleagues, customers, and business partners.

Finally, bringing potential conflicts into the open can help to build trust. Allowing for discussions to take place and issues to be addressed in a safe environment can help to establish trust.

I practice all of these tips already regarding the building of trust. I take the time to understand each person’s individual perspective, work together to establish a shared understanding of how tasks will be completed, be open and honest about objectives and expectations, and bring potential conflicts into the open. I will need to improve on being transparent and open about potential issues. I need to be more mindful of potential issues and address them in a timely manner to ensure that trust is maintained.

• To make sure i am taking time to build trust, i will discuss with my partner extensively to make sure that they know what is obtainable in this partnership and make them understand that all matters arising can be attended to for a good partnership.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.